conn96

How long will it take for carrots to germinate ?

I planted them on September 4th. How long till they germinate? Thanks.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

8 to 14 days from planting. If none after 2 weeks, re-seed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I usually plant carrot seed in April directly where it will grow. It takes three weeks for it to come up. I am sure it is warmer where you are and at this time of year, it should come up in two weeks. Be sure to keep it damp. When germinating small seed in warm weather it may germinate, but if the ground dries at the level of the root, it will die. You can't plant it very deep. An old timer told me to lay a board over the row and after a week check daily for a sign of emerging carrots. When you see them, take the board away. The board just holds the moisture.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

This is from the [ulr=https://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/qna.html]World Carrot Museum[/url]:
Do not plant them too deep. Sow the seeds on top of the bed and gently rake them in, covering the seed only about 1/4 inch. Germination will increase as soil temperatures decrease. Keep your planting area moist. Don't crust or harden the soil on top of the bed with direct sprays of water. It takes about 3 weeks for carrot seed to germinate and emerge from the soil. Do not plant carrot seeds deeper than 1/4 inch.
That tells me that the seed prefers cooler temperatures over warmer ones, so you germination may be spotty :?.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”