sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

just canned some tomatoes for the first time

they're in the bath :) but geesh. I'm a bit disappointed because I followed that tutorial in the tomato forum ya know? and the skins did NOT come to the top no matter what I did. so now its full of skins, I hope that is not nasty. is it going to be gross?? I hope I didn't ruin it. :( next time I'll do the regular way to get the skins off. I thought for sure it would work since it worked for the other person but I don't know what happened.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

haha! It won't be gross. It'll just have more fiber :() You could always puree it and run it through a mesh strainer.

applestar
Mod

I like using the food mill with the medium hole strainer disk. Last year, tried pre-skinning by dipping whole toms in boiling water, but didn't like the extra work nor having to handle/touch each tomato, which seemed unsanitary no matter how well I washed my hands.

Also confirmed this year my last year's impression -- quarter and remove stem end/green core. Otherwise, the hard bits end up in the sauce. Use GOOD saucepan that doesn't scorch and heat the toms without adding water, etc. Don't stir. When toms have simmers for a while and the watery liquid has come out, pour it out through a small-mesh wire strainer I use for rinsing tomato seeds (I.e. small enough to catch all the seeds). Great for adding to soup or chilled as tomato juice. Run the remainder through the food mill.

Having said that, I prepped by quartering and removing the stem ends/green core but froze the lot last time. :roll: 2 1-gallon freezer bags of yellows and 2 1-gallon freezer bags of reds. :() I'll can them when the mood strikes me. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/tomato_strainer.aspx]Here[/url] is the answer to your tomato skin troubles. I've seen one of these guys in work, and boy are they nice.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”