hank
Newly Registered

chlorinated soil - How to Counteract Chlorine in Soil?

I reget to say I tilled in a 5 gal. bucket of sand into my garden plot last fall and to my dismay remembered that it was old sand from a swimming pool filter. My garden did absolutely terrible this year, subposably from the chlorine in the sand. Can anybody tell me how to counteract the chlorine in my soil. Your help would be greatly appreciated.. Hank :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I will say this.

Last year I tried to fix a nasty section of sand laid pavers that borders my driveway. I got a few buckets of the same sand you are talking about from neighbor who has a pool.

The weeds don't seem to care one bit. I can't keep them down. SO not knowing how much you actually put in your garden it is hard to say. If it wasn't a whole hell of a lot I wouldn't fret too super much. It will work itself out and everything will be okee dokee.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not totally convinced that the 5 gal bucket of sand last fall has much to do with how the garden was this year, especially if your garden is not tiny. You have enough garden to till, so the sand was probably spread fairly thin. The chlorine would leach out of it over time, with watering and rain.

It was a hard year for gardens, with heat and drought and a lot of people reported more pests than usual.

What did you see that made you think the chlorinated sand was responsible?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to the amount you applied. But a 5 gallon bucket I wouldn't worry about one little bit. Unless your garden is about 2 square feet. Even then.... :wink: I have a medium sized garden and it wouldn't even notice a 5 gallon bucket worth of anything. Heck even 2 yards of compost hardly touch it.

It will all work out.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I don't think chlorine is stable enough to stay in the sand that way. I can't imagine it would have hurt your garden. Even folks who have aquariums only need to let the water set for a few days to allow the chlorine from municipal water supplies to dissipate into the atmosphere before adding the fish.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Chlorine quickly evaporates. I don't see any problem with that sand. I suggest that you add some compost or aged manure this fall in preparation for spring planting.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener, Hank.

I'm no scientist, but maybe there was no chlorine in the sand to begin with. Perhaps it has all since gassed off even before you put the sand in the garden (I'm assuming that you did not get the sand fresh from the filter and put in the garden within a few hours). Whether chlorine or no chlorine, I'd tell you the same thing: add compost and continually add organic material. That's pretty much the best thing for the long-term (and short-term) health and production of your garden. Oh, and belonging to this forum does wonders for a garden as well :wink:.

hank
Newly Registered

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. I will add compost and manure and let it ripen throughout the winter..... I feel alot better Thanks again Hank

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Glad we could ease your thoughts :D. Good luck with next year's garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”