TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The scapes take some energy from the plants so what you can do with your largest plants, those that will produce the largest cloves needed for the next years plantiong, is to take off the scapes soon after they start to go up. take the restoff for eating when they loop and are still tender. The plants you leave for bulbil formation will die off in the garden and the papers around the cloves will rot away so you should be ready to use those cloves first while the others are curing.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just got my garlic today, Music and Chesnok Red.

I didn't know a pound would be that much :shock: well it is. Now to figure out where I'm going to put all this. There is quite a bit after they will be separated.

Now the long wait, I have to wait a bit to plant than wait a whole lot longer to harvest. But it will all be worth while. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ, thanks for the tips.

Gix, yeah, it can be a different experience ordering seed by weight.....the first time you will always get a surplus. A buddy of mine got 1/4 pound of beans and it was enough to put a good size patch of beans in 3 gardens. Moral of the story, convince your friends to buy seen by weight so you can get some free crops :lol:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”