soil
Greener Thumb

Thanks for clearing this up, Soil. So, does all garlic do this, or is it some kind of fluke?
not quite sure, most of the scapes get cut off and made into garlic scape pesto. I accidentally learned that you can plant them. I pulled one plant out to see how they were coming along. noticed the scape but it was very small so I put it aside. well a few weeks maybe even a month or more later I am cleaning up and come across this garlic. well I noticed the scape came out and flowered. now I was expecting something like an onion seed. instead I found tiny garlic cloves. being the curious seed saver that I am I planted them. they didnt turn out to be the biggest garlic in the world but I liked the flavor a lot so I kept them. planted some of those cloves and now they are pretty much normal garlic size. I'm hoping that if I keep planting the biggest cloves I will be caught up with my other varieties that come in at 4-6 inches diameter. if not garlic is practically effortless to grow here. plant in the fall, harvest in the summer.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, so you have to leave the scapes on, with hardneck varieties, in order to harvest bulbils....got it :wink:.

soil
Greener Thumb

a very hard thing to do as scapes are DELICIOUS. at least to me lol.

applestar
Mod

I've never had garlic scapes. Now I can't wait for next year since I ordered scape producing Music garlic to plant later this fall. :()

garden5
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I've never had garlic scapes. Now I can't wait for next year since I ordered scape producing Music garlic to plant later this fall. :()
Me neither. I think when I grow garlic, I'll go with a hardneck variety just to sample some of these scapes. For some reason, I imagine them tasting like strong garlic chives. Does the presence of scapes affect (reduce) bulb storage at all?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

The scapes take some energy from the plants so what you can do with your largest plants, those that will produce the largest cloves needed for the next years plantiong, is to take off the scapes soon after they start to go up. take the restoff for eating when they loop and are still tender. The plants you leave for bulbil formation will die off in the garden and the papers around the cloves will rot away so you should be ready to use those cloves first while the others are curing.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just got my garlic today, Music and Chesnok Red.

I didn't know a pound would be that much :shock: well it is. Now to figure out where I'm going to put all this. There is quite a bit after they will be separated.

Now the long wait, I have to wait a bit to plant than wait a whole lot longer to harvest. But it will all be worth while. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ, thanks for the tips.

Gix, yeah, it can be a different experience ordering seed by weight.....the first time you will always get a surplus. A buddy of mine got 1/4 pound of beans and it was enough to put a good size patch of beans in 3 gardens. Moral of the story, convince your friends to buy seen by weight so you can get some free crops :lol:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”