wolfladypk
Newly Registered

Is it Safe to Trim Asparagus Plants?

Is it safe to trim my aspearagus? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with MG... As long as the asparagus fronds are still green, they are still feeding the roots, to help them do better next year. You don't want to cut them back until they have all turned at least yellow. Then cut them off near the ground.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I am planning to get some roots next year! In both a book and in MOther Earth News, I read that when the tops turn yellow or brown, they should set on fire and burned to the ground to kill any infestations of the asperagus beetle.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Even in the fall?!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I agree to leave the asparagus. The burning concept appears sound, but I'm wondering if it would really be necessary in the north. Would the cold and ice kill the bugs, anyway?

MG, are you allowed to cook on a charcoal grill, even?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Even in the fall?!
Fire season in California these days can run from May through November, or whenever the winter rain *finally* decides to begin. There were wildfires in SoCal this year in May and June; there have been bad grassfires around here the past couple of weeks (the Curry Fire on Mt. Diablo). The late spring rains led to heavy growth of underbrush and grasses, which fuel these fires.

Now, after three months of no rain (low temps but also no rain and low humidity), everything is tinder-dry. The Montecito Fire last year near Santa Barbara was caused by some yo-yo MOWING TALL WEEDS WITH A POWER MOWER. :x Which, of course, throws SPARKS. Which, of course, can **DUH** start fires. :x :x :x This is one reason goats are so popular for underbrush abatement. Hand tools are also heavily recommended.

So, yes, "even in the fall," summer, winter, spring; whenever it's dry.

The authorities, at least in the S.F. Bay Area, will issue a burn permit upon request WHEN and IF they feel you 1) have justifiable need for one, 2) have taken ample precautions against the fire getting out of control (and they *will* drive up and take a look at your precautions), and 3) weather conditions are favorable. They reserve the right to cancel the permit even 5 minutes before the scheduled burn should the weather change--wind direction, speed, etc.

Scary stuff.

Look up the Oakland Firestorm of October 20-21, 1991.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I guess you can't blame them, really, when you consider the terrible consequences of a wild-fire. I'm assuming that fireworks in the back-yard are out of the question on the 4th of July :lol:.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We are fortunate here in the southeast! Rain is generally plentiful. This summer was an exception. You only have to have burn permits here if you are burning something large. I have no experience with asperagus other than eating it. This is just what I've read. After next year, I'll be burning mine, because my climate permits it. Thanks! :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since we were talking about fire hazard and all, did people see this news item?

Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock. Not so different from the way you play, right? Only this time, the impact caused a spark, and the spark set off a blaze that eventually covered 25 acres

[url=https://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Golfer-s-swing-sparks-25-acre-California-blaze?urn=golf-266447]golf swing sparks blaze[/url]

Wow, everything must be so dry!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Over the weekend, a golfer's routine swing in the rough at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine, Calif., struck a rock.
Sounds like an urban legend in the making. Someone just didn't want to tell the truth about the fire starter. :roll:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So, I guess we can conclude that if you are in the south and there are no burn-bans, go ahead and burn the asparagus. If you are in the north, and the winters get pretty cold, maybe don't worry about it so much. If you're in the middle, flip a coin :lol:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”