gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What a Harvest

I got out yesterday between the showers we are getting due to a stalled front and picked 30 pods of okra and 40+ yard long beans. This morning after an early shower, I slogged in ankle deep water and picked 61 pods of okra, 6 black globe eggplants and 117 japanese yard long beans. The thing is, my yard longs are only occupying 1/2 of a 25 ft.long x 7 ft. tall trellis--------those things are very prolific and doing better than they did last year at this time. Matter of fact, my Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans planted at the same time are not even showing flowers yet.

Now, it's off to the kitchen to put some of them up in the freezer and fix some for lunch today. I may even cut up a few of them in 4" pieces and see how they pickle since a good Bloody Mary is one of my favorites on a Sunday morning. Man, I love this stuff!!!!!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! The yard-long beans (now, get ready for a dumb question) how long are they when you harvest them (I know it's not a yard)? Do you harvest them for the beans inside or do you cook the whole pod?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Garden5, I'll harvest them when they are around 20-24 inches long and about as thick as a #2 pencil. If you let them go to form nice beans, the pods are not as nice. I picked 117 beans yesterday and 61 pods of okra. I put up 4 qts. of beans and had enough left over to cook a 3 qt. pot full smothered down with onions, garlic and smoke sausage.

I've grown these beans before, but for some reason, they are going nuts this year in productivity. They are on a trellis that is 12 1/2' long x 7 ' tall. Next spring, I'll likely plant the entire 25' trellis with these beans.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:Garden5, I'll harvest them when they are around 20-24 inches long and about as thick as a #2 pencil. If you let them go to form nice beans, the pods are not as nice. I picked 117 beans yesterday and 61 pods of okra. I put up 4 qts. of beans and had enough left over to cook a 3 qt. pot full smothered down with onions, garlic and smoke sausage.

I've grown these beans before, but for some reason, they are going nuts this year in productivity. They are on a trellis that is 12 1/2' long x 7 ' tall. Next spring, I'll likely plant the entire 25' trellis with these beans.
Thanks for the info. From your post, I take it you pick them to be eaten whole, pod and all.

I know how you feel. Whenever I get a bumper crop of something, I find myself planning how I can grow more of it next year :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”