garden5
Super Green Thumb

My friend decided to call it quits with his toms...pulled all the plants. I'm trying to convince him to throw up a low-tunnel and put in some radishes :lol:.

Jbest

Ozark Lady wrote:IT IS RAINING!

September first is being so good... rain!

Now, I can feel more like gardening... just keep coming!

It is raining so hard that I can't see the garden. Oops, topsoil on the pasture will run right off the hill!
Don't take it all we may get your left overs. :P John

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, Jb it is coming through in waves. That first one, hit hard and is gone, but radar shows many more and larger behind it... oh don't skirt us.

Wonder where they measure? All the dog food dishes that were still outside are full! And yet it says that we got .01" of rain.

How could .01" fill a dog food pan that is only about 8" wide and 2" deep? There was no runoff into it! Odd!

okay, I am off to go spread the waste hay on the pasture hillside, before the next round arrives... optomistic, huh? Hopeful!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey ozark lady,

We got 1 3/4" this afternoon. We were on the extreme south end of the same system that came through your area. It extended through Oklahoma into Arkansas and Missouri.

The nice thing is the fact that it is the leading edge of a cool front that will give us some more days in the 80's with nights in the low 60's. My garden is loving the cooler air.

Ted

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It passed, and nothing for a very long time.

Then, here came round two, it also rained hard, then let up...
It just sprinkled or drizzled for about an hour, and we still only show .08" that just can't be right!

I got the hay out in between! What looked like alot on the barn floor, looks so pathetic on the hillside!

But, now I can start fall crops! Yeah, and get my garlic and spring bulbs back out in the ground! Yippee.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It looks like the storm got you motivated, OL. Maybe a good thunderstorm is just wheat JB needs? Actually, I could go for one myself.....been dry all week here :?.

Jbest

garden5 wrote:It looks like the storm got you motivated, OL. Maybe a good thunderstorm is just wheat JB needs? Actually, I could go for one myself.....been dry all week here :?.
That would help alot.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/88.gif[/img] John

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I finally got some rain and yes, it does feel reviving. I got only rain, but would also like a good storm to go along with it...there's just something about a storm that makes you feel recharged :wink:.

Jbest

We got some rain and wind but no storm. I hope we get some thunder storms when I am trying to go to sleep. That will be like taking a dozen sleeping pills.[img]https://www.smileycons.com/img/emotions/112.gif[/img] John

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It rained Wednesday, official total was .51"
Then it rained Thursday, official total was 1.19"
And then about 8 pm, Thursday night, we got a thunderstorm, knocked out power, since it hit a neighbors transformer... it rained all night long.
And you know how the electric company is working on power and it comes on and off? From midnight till 1 am it was on and off alot, then from 4am till 5am it would kick on, kick off...
How does one sleep through this?
Official total from midnight till now for Friday was 1.17" (estimated).
We almost got our August rain, already, now to catch up for June and July, and then get our August 5 inches! Then our water tables, ponds, lakes etc, will look right again!

And tonight the temps are due to hit 49 degrees... feels like fall is here!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I got some pretty high winds overnight. The vegetable crops were fine, but it did take out 2 sunflowers :cry:. Oh well, I'll get the seed from them, anyway :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”