webmaster
Site Admin

Container Vegetable Gardening

So I am interested in growing vegetables in containers. I did a little research and found that I can grow Salad greens, Broccoli, Carrots, Cucumbers, Radishes, Spinach, and of course tomatoes.

I think the dream of many condominium and apartment dwellers is to utilize those small outdoor spaces just outside the window, even a balcony, in order to grow fresh vegetables. I recall the pleasure several years ago of looking out my window and seeing green leaves thriving on the small space outside my window.

Having seen Scott's garden, and eaten from it, I'm now eager to create a small veggie garden on my balcony.

Now for the details.

What time of year is good for planting the veggies?

Any special considerations for soil and water?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can plant veggies either in the spring or at the end of the summer (in August) depending on what vegetables you are growing. Broccoli, Kale and other brassicas are great plants for the winter. And they do well in pots.

Soil, I like to use a combination of potting soil, mushroom manure, and compost in my pots.

What have others used?

Franco

I planted my leaf lettuce in early july and it's doing fine in pots. By the way, do you have any pictures from Scott's garden I would love to see it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”