bacchen
Newly Registered

New Texas Garden

Having just now tilled a plot, and covered it up to kill of the grass, I am left with thinking, this late into fall, what are my options to plant within the next say 2-3 weeks?

I'm in Central Texas, I know there's a lot that dictates what you can plant with winter on the way. Any response is much appreciated!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

cool weather crops.

Lettuce, cabbage, collard/mustard/turnip greens, spinach, swiss chard, brussels sprouts, broccoli, kohl rabi, kale, cauliflower, carrots, beets. The list could go on for a lot longer.

Central Texas is a big place. You need to find out your planting zone and go from there. Just a guess, but I'd say either Zone 8 or 9.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

bacchen, another idea is to layer your plot with cardboard, newspaper, grass clippings, leaves, well rotted manure and such and have this broken down by the time spring arrives for a great start on the spring/summer garden. All these things will add nutrients to the soil and having it layered will kill off the grass that is still there.

Just food for thought.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:bacchen, another idea is to layer your plot with cardboard, newspaper, grass clippings, leaves, well rotted manure and such and have this broken down by the time spring arrives for a great start on the spring/summer garden. All these things will add nutrients to the soil and having it layered will kill off the grass that is still there.

Just food for thought.
Actually, it is "food for food"

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”