tedln
Super Green Thumb

Another Monster Cucumber!

I harvested another monster cucumber yesterday. In the attached photo, The cucumber I harvested near the end of July was the one in front. I don't remember the size of it, but I posted the dimensions of it in another post. The cucumber I harvested yesterday was the one hanging at the back of the trellis. I purposely let it grow and mature even more to see how much an Armenian cucumber would grow and mature to resemble a melon in taste and texture. I also wanted to give the seed extra time to mature.

Yesterdays cuke was about three inches longer and two inches larger in diameter than the previous cuke. When I sliced it open, the seed cavity was bright orange while the flesh was still greenish white. The odor was almost as fragrant as a ripe musk melon. The flesh was still crisp but had developed a slightly sweet flavor. It retained the overall flavor of cucumber. I think if it had stayed on the vine another two weeks, it would have become a melon very much like a musk melon. My problem is the fact that not having grown melons, I have no idea how to judge its ripeness while still on the vine. It was so large, I was afraid it was going to break the vine and burst on the ground.

We have been eating some fruits at about 8" long and they are strictly mild cucumber flavored and can be used in any way a normal cucumber is used. We will be using some of this cucumber/melon this evening in a Cottage Cheese, cucumber, and mango salad. The ripe mango should give it a special sweetness. I have three more of the large versions on the vines and the vines continue to bloom way past the time my normal cucumbers gave up the ghost and died. As the weather is cooling, the Armenians are exhibiting their normal tendency to produce long, narrow, heavily ridged fruit instead of the oversized melon fruit.

The plants are amazing because they were planted the first week of April along with my normal cucumbers. Now we are in late August and they continue to get larger and seem healthier than anything in my garden. If you happen to plant some of the Armenian cucumbers next spring, don't be concerned if they germinate slowly, grow slowly, and have thin wimpy looking vines at first. When all the conditions are right, they suddenly turn the thin wimpy vines into vines double the thickness of the normal cucumbers. They also send out side vines which cover everything. They seem to have an abundance of male blossoms and just enough female blossoms to produce a very nice crop.

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/IMG_2425.jpg[/img]

Ted

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Ted, I'll trade you seeds from my FrankenChile for seeds from your Dracukla :lol: I may smile, but I'm dead serious: I want some of those seeds.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

It's a done deal! I put the seed in the shop this afternoon to start drying. I have one other recipient to send some to. They will go out sometime next week. PM me where to send them.

If your pepper seed makes let me know. I may be interested in germinating some pepper at that time. Right now, I simply don't know how I will have space to germinate the pepper seed.

Ted

microcollie
Green Thumb

tedln wrote: It was so large, I was afraid it was going to break the vine and burst on the ground. Ted
Before I moved to the cooler climate I'm in now, I used to grow melons every year on trellises. I'd make fabric slings to attach to the trellis to carry the weight of the melons as they ripened. (any stretchy fabric will work, but I used to use old t-shirts.)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

tedln wrote:Stella,

It's a done deal! I put the seed in the shop this afternoon to start drying. I have one other recipient to send some to. They will go out sometime next week. PM me where to send them.

If your pepper seed makes let me know. I may be interested in germinating some pepper at that time. Right now, I simply don't know how I will have space to germinate the pepper seed.

Ted
Ted, I am too excited. I am PM'ing you now. Frankenchile's seeds should last a while. You can play with it when you have a free spot in the garden. Don't be suprised, though, if you wind up with a plantain tree :roll:

Weather, cooperate with me please so I can get seeds for Ted O:)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

microcollie wrote:
tedln wrote: It was so large, I was afraid it was going to break the vine and burst on the ground. Ted
Before I moved to the cooler climate I'm in now, I used to grow melons every year on trellises. I'd make fabric slings to attach to the trellis to carry the weight of the melons as they ripened. (any stretchy fabric will work, but I used to use old t-shirts.)
It was a situation where I was afraid to touch it because I felt if I jostled it to much, it would fall. I thought about the tshirt, but never got around to it. For me, the perfect thing would be a pantyhose sling. Just cut off one leg and slip it over the melon and tie it at the top. My wife hasn't used them in years. There may even be a national pantyhose shortage because women no longer wear them. I don't know! :D

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Just to let everyone know, the cottage cheese, mango, cucumber combo was great. I mixed pretty much equal parts of each and added basil and black pepper (you read right, black pepper works great with cottage cheese.) It's a great flavor combo and after marinating together in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, it was the perfect cold compliment to a hot meal.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's a big 'un Ted. Gotta love them especially when they are edible and that big.

I have some Hmong Red's that might give you a run for your money, :P alas they haven't turned orange (yeah the name is red but they turn orange go figure?) I need to take some pics to see what I should about mine. Pick them or let them go.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Here is a link that displays the Hmong Red cucumber in the color red. You are right though, most web sites show it as a yellow cucumber when ripe. It's amazing how many people know the wonders of Photoshop.

https://plants.guidestobuy.com/hmong-red-cucumber-10-seeds-free-shipping-on-additional-packs-of-hirts-gardens-seeds

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's odd Ted I have searched it a few times and never ever saw it even near that color.

I was going off of D_V's post [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16440&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hmong+red&start=0]here[/url] where he even messed with his camera to capture the true color. That is basically the same color I have seen but Mine are still very white.

But that is for another post. Thanks for the reply. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Edit: Oh wait are you saying that the very red one is photoshopped? :?: :oops: :roll:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't be surprised if the color was enhanced a little. Why would you try to sell a red cucumber when it is yellow? Make it look red and people line up to buy 10 seeds for four dollars. Even the description is from another website/forum where plants are rated.

Ted

csvd87

Those are some monster cukes. I might try cukes next year, was going to try Lemon cukes, we don't eat that much cucumber though, my fave way to eat it is sliced up and in a bowl of white vinegar.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I am going to grow lemon cukes next year too. They are the greatest little cukes going, especially when only I like cucmbers! I love the Lemons, but will try others too. Can't wait till spring. LOl! :lol: I was born and raised on the Island, and that's where I discovered them!

csvd87

Green Mantis wrote:I am going to grow lemon cukes next year too. They are the greatest little cukes going, especially when only I like cucmbers! I love the Lemons, but will try others too. Can't wait till spring. LOl! :lol: I was born and raised on the Island, and that's where I discovered them!
Awesome, sounds likes the lemon cukes are a good idea.

Also, everyone seems to leave the Island and head for Alberta, but always seem to return. There is just nothing much to offer the 18-25 year old, so they head for the oil.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Ha, I should be so lucky to be so young again!!!! LMFAO I'm going to be 61 next month :roll: We moved out here to be closer to our son and other grandson. Our Daughter and our other 2 grandson's moved with us, so it was a case of u all come now! :wink: ---But I sure do love those cukes. No we wouldn't come back to the Island. Maybe the Interior again, but not the Island. Although I do miss the ocean.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”