gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What a morning for progress!

For the first time in many weeks, New Orleans is overcast and the "feels like" temperature is about 8-10 degrees cooler than yesterday. I decided to go to the N.O. P.D. Horse Stables near my house and much to my surprise, they moved a lot of the fresh stable waste to an area that now allows easier access to what has been on the ground for over a year. I still couldn't drive directly to where it is since the ground is way too soft but I did have a 30 gallon garbage can and 2-- 5 gallon buckets. I took the equivalent of 200 gallons of very well composted material in a little over an hour.

Some of it is now in the garden rows around my plants as a top dressing. The rows that don't have anything in them yet got a nice layer on the top and will be hoed in a little later this week. That should get the leafy stuff off to a good start when the weather cools and the seeds get sown.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Sounds like you took the cart and got the horse ... Sounds like some good addition to your garden

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, there's a good score. I'd love to have access to free, composed manure like that. I'm sure your plants are as thrilled as you are :wink:.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Yep folks, I'm a firm believer in sweat equity, as I seem to have more time than money. It's worked well for me with houses and it is paying dividends in the garden now. This stuff is so well decomposed that I put some in peat pots, added a few squash seeds and they are taking off.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:Yep folks, I'm a firm believer in sweat equity, as I seem to have more time than money. It's worked well for me with houses and it is paying dividends in the garden now. This stuff is so well decomposed that I put some in peat pots, added a few squash seeds and they are taking off.
I wouldn't keep keep the plants in peat pots too long as they have a tendency to dry out....fast. Also cucurbits (squash, melons, etc.) don't like to have their roots messed with, so don't let them get too root-bound in the containers.

Glad to hear they are doing, well, though.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”