hardland

A question about different types of water ?

Hi all, until last week I had been using city water from the garden faucet to water my Cucumbers, I'm in very hot sth FL and that seems to be the only thing that grows in the intense summer heat. I had to leave for a short week, so set the 4 container plants in centre of garden and let my sprinkler system ( well water ) do it's job, daily. Upon returning I was surprised at how well the cucs looked, good growth, no disease,etc. I'm wondering if certain kinds of water are better for growing veggies than others, well vs city vs rain? Any thoughts. Also, my sprinklers watered the entire plant, leaves and all. When I use a can, I try not to water the leaves..

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't think there is a clear cut answer. Several years ago on an orchid forum there was a big fight with a Florida guy who swore that magnetized water was soooo much better for the orchids, which was followed by scientific debunking of magnets and many Florida growers, who pointed out the millions of plants that had been grown with well and city water that was so hard it left a white coating on the pots. Plants are pretty much immune to the chlorine in tap water, so that arguement is out.

About all I can say is that it appears my plants respond better to rain water than whatever comes out of the faucet, which may be due to the lower acidity of rain water.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I agree with TZ, plants respond so much better to rainwater than with municipal water. Well water to me is really unpredictable - mainly because of so many ground contaminants that it can be subjected to. I water extensively with rainwater, and have 220 gallons of storage. My plants really appreciate it, too.

EG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

All I can say is that when it rains....my garden grows! Everything always looks so lush and green after a rain (though, you can have too much of a good thing when it comes to rain!).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It seems to me that the "different types of water" arguement is a lot like the "different sources of nitrogen" arguement. What the plants really notice is the Lack OF.

So many factors are involved in predicting water needs for your garden. Container gardens or in the ground gardens? Relative humidity, temperature, soil type, weather, and the crop itself all have an impact on water needs.

I feel that giving the plants enough water, of what ever kind, will produce good results. I will agree that a summer rain always perks up the plants. It may be due in part to the nitrogen fixing of the thunderstorms, which is usually what causes a summer rain here.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You raise a good point, Jal.

In many instances, we don't have a choice of what kind of water we can use.

I've been told that my well water is not good to spray on the plants because it's too cold and will stunt them. That may or may not be true, but aside from setting up rain-barrels or putting my water in a container to warm up for a few hours, I'm pretty much stuck using it.

Like you said, though: cold water is better than no water at all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”