Arriga
Cool Member

Are there any good cayenne pepper sauce recipes for canning?

I have lots!!!

webmaster
Site Admin

How about sharing one? :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I think Arriga means he or she has lots of cayenne peppers, but I'm not sure :?

Arriga, I checked my The Practical Produce Cookbook for you, and it didn't list any canned sauce recipes. You might try online.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Arriga, I'm avoiding work, so I decided to take a peek online and see what I could find for canned cayenne recipes. No wonder you had problems! The search terms are too general, and I wound up with a great deal of non-related sites.

However, I did find this terrific [url=https://antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/CayenneSauce10-25-8/index.html]illustrated site[/url] that might work for you. Made me want to grow cayennes :lol:

Arriga
Cool Member

I'm sorry I was not clear. I have lots of cayenne peppers and I figured making a hot sauce would help me to use them. Yes, I have had problems finding canning recipes. I figured since I have lots of them, I could keep some on the shelf and open and refridgerate as needed. Please help. I have spent hours searching for a recipe but can't find a thing.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Arriga, click on the words "illustrated site" in my last post. I really think that is what you are looking for.

I grew cayennes years ago. I bought a hot pepper variety mix with habaneros, hot cherry, jalapenos, Hungarian waxes, and cayennes in it, and I couldn't figure out what to do with the cayennes. I have five sisters, all of whom enjoy cooking. I strung the cayennes and dried them, and I enclosed them in my Xmas presents to them all.

Ah ha! A narrow escape, I don't mind saying. I hate wasting food, but I couldn't figure out how to, um, put those cayennes to their best use. I haven't grown them since. They seriously like to produce a heckuva lot of peppers per plant :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

I like to dry cayenne peppers for long term storage. and then grind some into powder for cooking and adding some spice to food.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

This sause is close to "frank's red hot" I would imagine that it would be very hot if you substituted Cayenne peppers. Any chile can be sustituted.

20 tabasco or serrano chiles, stemmed and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices, or 12 very ripe red jalapenos (about 10 ounces)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
3/4 cup thinly sliced onions
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
Directions
Combine the peppers, garlic, onions, salt and oil in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until peppers are very soft and almost all of the liquid has evaporated. (Note: this should be done in a very well-ventilated area!) Remove from the heat and allow to steep until mixture comes to room temperature. In a food processor, puree the mixture for 15 seconds, or until smooth. With the food processor running, add the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream.

Taste and season with more salt, if necessary. (This will depend on the heat level of the peppers you use as well as the brand of vinegar used.) Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and then transfer to a sterilized pint jar or bottle and secure with an airtight lid. Refrigerate. Let age at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I save the juice from Bread & Butter pickles full the jars with peppers, onion, garlic, carrots, what ever I like. Let it set in the refrigerator a few months then it is ready to eat.

The vinegar is good over greens, spinish, etc.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:I save the juice from Bread & Butter pickles full the jars with peppers, onion, garlic, carrots, what ever I like. Let it set in the refrigerator a few months then it is ready to eat.

The vinegar is good over greens, spinish, etc.
You put peppers in the pickle juice, too? I thought I was the only one!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”