stella1751
Greener Thumb

What Is This Pepper?

This pepper is supposed to either a Yellow Habanero, a Fish, or a Nu-Mex Big Jim. It is clearly none of these, and I've never seen anything like it before. It's short, about 6" tall, and very wide, about a foot. That might be my fault, though. It's my practice to pinch off blossoms on seedlings until two weeks have passed after setting them out. This fellow's new growth looked like a blossom, honest, and I pinched off all new growth for about a week until I figured it out.

It's a hot pepper. I don't think I like the texture, which is spongier than most peppers I've ever eaten. Then again, maybe it's not ready to pick. I see that the first peppers have just begun to turn orange. I suspect they will go red, but who knows?

[img]https://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/mitbah/question.jpg[/img]

Thanks!

soil
Greener Thumb

they don't look ripe to me, I bet they turn red when done. looks almost like a variety that was given to us this year as "super chili" but the leaves are a bit big.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:they don't look ripe to me, I bet they turn red when done. looks almost like a variety that was given to us this year as "super chili" but the leaves are a bit big.
Ha! Thank you so much, Soil! You can have no idea how crazy these peppers have been making me. I found the super chili at [url=https://www.reimerseeds.com/super-chili-hot-peppers.aspx]Reimer Seeds[/url], and that is definitely what I have here.

I suspect mine are not supposed to be Super Chili's. My friend, who saves seeds, sent me seeds for Yellow Habanero, Nu-Mex Big Jims, and Fish. I wonder whether it's possible this plant is the offspring of cross polination from one of those plants.

Years ago, I grew something called a Sweet Pickling Pepper. It looked much like these, another ornamental pepper, and if memory serves, the texture was the same. If I get enough, I'll pickle 'em. It's a pretty prolific producer for such a little guy, and I'm betting it has at least three, maybe four, dozen peppers on it right now.

Thank you. This was bugging me, and I really think you have it.

soil
Greener Thumb

its possible, I saved seeds from a thai pepper that was next to a habanero. this year 1 out of 10 seeds looks like a mix between a hab and a thai. I cant wait to taste it. there just growing soooooo slow. lol

my super chili is amazingly productive. my plants are 12 inches tops and have at least 100 peppers on them.

csvd87

could be any of hundreds of pepper species :) but my best guess is a Guajillo, but I think Guajillo's start green and turn red.

*EDIT* If I actually read the rest of the comments... ya it definitely looks like the "Super Chili"
Last edited by csvd87 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

csvd87 wrote:could be any of hundreds of pepper species :) but my best guess is a Guajillo, but I think Guajillo's start green and turn red.
Csvd87, what really made me certain these are super chili's was the comment some fellow made beneath the photo in the link. He or she said that they were gorgeous pickled if you used yellow, orange, and red in the same jar. These are yellow now, but the first ones are turning orange, and one is deepening to red.

I'm actually pretty jazzed about these, now that I know what I have. It's like getting an extra chance to try something new. Given the size of my small garden, I can only experiment with a few varieties at a time :cry:

csvd87

I did edit my last post... and made note of my failure to read :) I know what you mean about the space, however I will have way more room next year. I have a Filius Blue growing and flowering next to my computer monitor...

EDIT* I have around 15 varieties lined up for next year

Richee

Looks like a Tabasco Pepper plant to me... or at least that's what my Tabasco plant looks like.

EDIT: Yep, that's what it must be:
[url]https://www.tabascofoodservice.com/about_aging.cfm[/url]

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Richee wrote:Looks like a Tabasco Pepper plant to me... or at least that's what my Tabasco plant looks like.

EDIT: Yep, that's what it must be:
[url]https://www.tabascofoodservice.com/about_aging.cfm[/url]
Richee, darn it all. I looked at the site you listed, and I researched the tabasco pepper, and my plant looks like a tabasco pepper, too! I found a nice photo of the Capsicum frutescens on [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_frutescens]Wikipedia[/url], and boy this does look like mine, too. I'm now embarrassed to have blown off csvd87. Yeesh. I thought I finally knew . . .

How long are your tabasco peppers? These are about 2 to 3" long.

I'm going to get a better photo today. The leaves will tell the tale, right? Shooting peppers when the temp is 90+ and the winds have been gusting all day just doesn't tell the true tale. This plant had had a very rough day by the time I took this photo, and because of its location, I have to shoot it in the afternoon rather than morning.

I'm also going to measure one of the peppers. I'm an old fisherperson, and I tend to exaggerate length when I am guessing.

Can you get a photo of one of your plants? I can't tell what the leaves on the tabasco look like, based on the two photos I've seen.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps it's a hybrid of Tabasco and super chilli :lol:!

They do look very much alike, and since your seed was from somone who saved it, there is a chance that what you have may be some type of chili pepper hybrid.

I also want to say thanks to Soil for turning me on to the super chili....that's one to go on the list for next year.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=tabasco+pepper+plant&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zl5yTK_VKcjwngepyYjKCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC4QsAQwAA&biw=1366&bih=588]Here[/url] are some pics that may help you out with the Tabascos!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

garden5 wrote:[url=https://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=tabasco+pepper+plant&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zl5yTK_VKcjwngepyYjKCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC4QsAQwAA&biw=1366&bih=588]Here[/url] are some pics that may help you out with the Tabascos!
Thank you, Garden5! Those really helped. The answer lies not so much in the leaves as in the pepper tip. See how much blunter are the end on those peppers? My money's back on super chili's!

soil
Greener Thumb

I was going to say the same thing, the tips look blunt rather than pointed.

fannyfarmer

If the seed was saved from a hybrid variety, it will be some one of the crosses used in the original hybridization or a further throwback....

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, were these seeds from a commercial supplier or an individual? Sometimes seeds from friends can be a hybrid (although, commercial sources have had their goof-ups, as well :?).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”