NDIrish81
Newly Registered

Preparing garden plot for next year...

This year's garden isn't even done yet and I'm already thinking of next year!As I said in my intro, I am a first year gardener. I was wondering if there is something I can spray with to prevent all the grass and weeds I fought with this year. I would love for it to be something organic if possible, or even an alternative to spraying. I also need something cost effective. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are talking about like veggie garden plots where you won't have anything growing over the winter, you can just chop down all the weeds and leave them lie. Water well, cover the area with a couple layers of cardboard or a bunch of layers of newsprint. Water well again so that it lies flat. Then cover it with several inches of topsoil/compost/ leaves/ mulch. By spring the grass/ weeds will be smothered, the paper will be starting to break down and you will have a nice planting bed.

Alternatively you could just weed it out soon and then plant a winter cover crop. Here's a thread we have going about that: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27513&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=winter+cover+crop&start=0

Clover, vetch, alfalfa are nitrogen fixers and add to the soil. And they will help smother the weeds/grass and keep them from coming back. In the spring you cut them down and plant your spring crops.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You can also solarize the soil next spring by spreading a layer of clear plastic over the garden and letting the sun heat up the soil and cook all the weed seeds.

However, the down side to this is it can kill off many of the beneficial biology, making your soil pretty sterile. If you go this route, it may be a good idea to add in a good amount of compost after the process.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”