sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I can't believe I grew perfect corn!! and yet I am consider

ing not growing it next year. It takes up too much space for such little food ya know? But I did it! I grew it and it grew right this time and it had all the kernels and it wasn't wimpy corn it was a nice sized corn! yes! I grew corn LOL!

anyone not grow it bc of the space issue?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I love a success story. Way to go! :D

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

It does take up quite a bit of room - that's why I grow my corn in swc's, because with a constant water supply, you can really space them close.
I'll grow 30 plants within a space of only about 10 square feet of space with this method....

EG

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what is a swc?

specgrade

The squirrels eat my corn. Better luck next year. Glad yours turned out! 8)

specgrade

sheeshshe wrote:what is a swc?
Small Water Closet?? :lol: :roll:

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

didn't you just say small white corn? LOL!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I was surprized at my yield in a fairly small area densely planted, well watered and fertilized, but at the time of harvest sweet corn is dirt cheap at the super market so backyard corn is more of a convenient novelty than a must have. Deer and racoons are big problems too.

The space is better used for something like muskmelons which, like tomatoes, taste pretty bad from the store.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

solid wall carvings... slightly wimpy castles...

No really, how about self-watering containers. Things like Earthboxes and others that have a water reservoir built into them.

Congratulations on your success!

I have seen other people here say it's not enough reward for the space. When I used to have space to grow it, I gave up on it, because in my location it was too hard to protect it from the critters. We had raccoons, possums, groundhogs, deer, lots of birds, squirrels, other rodents and they ALL LOVED corn!

If I had the room now, I would try it again, spaced close in 4x4 or 4x8 raised beds. Put TALL stakes around the outside of the beds and wrap the whole thing in deer netting.

Depends on how much you love corn, I guess, and how much room you have. It does produce lots of organic matter (leaves, stalks, etc) for your compost pile (you have to grind the stalks).
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KWGardener
Newly Registered

I grew corn this year too....about half filled out properly and the other half didn't. I actually didn't find a huge taste difference between my homegrown corn and the corn I buy from the roadside stands so I probably won't grow it again. It does take a ton of space.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! It's great to hear you're having success.

I, too, skipped over corn due to the space issue. For $3 I can get a dozen ears, but only 5 or so nice tomatoes, So I opted for toms. Perhaps next year I'll expand and do a planting of it (all this reading about corn growing is getting me excited).

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Haha! Those representations for "swc" were quite funny....

Self watering containers

specgrade

sheeshshe wrote:didn't you just say small white corn? LOL!
BUSTED! yes, yes I did.

specgrade

I have a few of those Earth Boxes and I think I will try my corn in them next year. That would be easier to fence them off to keep the squirrels away.

Cerbiesmom

My corn just started to tassle. I'm so excited.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I don't grow it because of the space to return ratio too. Also the fact that we generally get lots of it free from farmers around here. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The one exception to growing corn for me is the prospect of growing one of those 20 ft. tall maze varieties, now that's something that I'd readily give up a few tomato plants to try.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”