gardengrl3

Cucumbers turning yellow

Well I have two cucumber vines growing on two different sides of my garden-the cucumbers are growing but once they get about 4-5 inches long they are turning yellow-what is the problem?? :cry:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

You are waiting too late to pick them....sorry....

EG

specgrade

engineeredgarden wrote:You are waiting too late to pick them....sorry....

EG
That is what happens to my cukes when I wait too long. Either they turn yellow or they get too big to taste good.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

In addition to being left too long on the vines, if the vines they are attached to have died, this yellowing of the fruit will happen as well.

jmoore

I did the same thing last year. I cut and ate a couple of the yellow ones and they tasted fine. Maybe they were not at the peak of their flavor, but they were still miles better than store bought.

I say try them. And pick the next ones earlier.

gardengrl3

I 'm a bit confused because I waited for the cucumbers to ripe more because they still had the "prikle spikes" on the outside-shouldn't the skin be smooth??

applestar
Mod

That's part of the problem with grocery store cukes. they grow them as big as they can because they make more when the produce weigh more. I think the ones in stores are also de-prickled and waxed for extra shine.

Cukes are tastier when they're good and prickly. My DD won't pick them or wash them even though she likes ... No LOVES cucumbers! :roll:

The cukes I grow are prickly up to their stems. They store better with prickles on. To serve, I rinse them then sprinkle coarse Kosher salt on them to scrub the prickles off. A quick rinse and their ready to eat! :()

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I pick mine prickles and all. I always peel them with a potato peeler, anyway, so that eliminates all the prickles.

applestar
Mod

But that takes away all the dark green skin! :shock:
Besides, young cuke skins are tender and delicious... and this is coming from someone who meticulously peels most grapes. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

:shock: You don't seriously peel grapes, do you?

I guess I may have exaggerated earlier. I don't always peel my cukes, just when I'm making certain things with them.

I'll bet there are vitamins in the skin that we loose by peeling them as well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”