tedln
Super Green Thumb

Grasshoppers?

I planted some Swiss chard a few weeks ago and the grasshoppers would nip the small seedlings as fast they germinated. I waited for the grasshopper population to decline as they always do and planted some tomato seeds in the soil. I simply want to see if tomatoes can withstand the heat and intense sunlight if direct seeded into the soil. There are apparently still enough grasshoppers around that they are nipping the cotyledons within days of them germinating. I continue planting seed in the hope the grasshoppers will miss a few. Any ideas?

Ted

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

This is a pretty nice article about grasshopper control:

https://www.ghorganics.com/page12.html

... has a lot of suggestions including predators for them, repellant plants for them, parasites for them, garlic oil spray, pepper spray (or try combination garlic-pepper spray), diatomaceous earth, trap crops, etc....

applestar
Mod

I think for sprouting seeds and short stature plants, the best defense is to put up a screen cage around them. You could even use those little umbrella-without-handle thingies for protecting food at picnics and BBQ's or pop-up laundry baskets.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, kind of like a mini-floating row cover.

I usually don't get too many insects in my garden until later in the year, so I rarely have to worry about the first crop's seedlings.....it's the fall crop that starts to become a slug buffet!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what ot say about you hoppers but I believe you tomatoes should be okay sprouting in this weather. I am still pulling volunteer tom's every now and than. Just found a few this week.

Let's not talk about the slug fest G5 I found 2 the other morning on my siding both 7 inches and brown.

What about using DE for grasshoppers will that work. You got me worried now Ted I have several plantings of lettuce and peas and whatnot here and there. We have some monster hoppers around here as well.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Everyone in my area is commenting on the plague of grasshoppers. I did a little research and learned there are some biological controls, but you have to apply it almost daily because most of the hoppers are transient. Simply moving through and eating as they travel.

One article said an extended (few days) of cool, moist weather will get rid of them because it promotes the parasitic diseases they are subject to.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Gix, you slugs were seriously 7 in. long :shock:?

Ted, I've heard that if you water your garden extra frequently, that will make them go somewhere else. I do believe one member here (OL?) tried that method with some success. However, you will then have to deal with the potential for disease in the garden due to all of the moisture. :?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Gix, you slugs were seriously 7 in. long :shock:?

Ted, I've heard that if you water your garden extra frequently, that will make them go somewhere else. I do believe one member here (OL?) tried that method with some success. However, you will then have to deal with the potential for disease in the garden due to all of the moisture. :?
Yes, I've been doing that and it does help. They seem to hate water. When I turn the sprinkler on, it looks like the movie "the birds" as they exit my garden. Then it dries off and they return.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:
garden5 wrote:Gix, you slugs were seriously 7 in. long :shock:?

Yes, I've been doing that and it does help. They seem to hate water. When I turn the sprinkler on, it looks like the movie "the birds" as they exit my garden. Then it dries off and they return.

Ted
Oh, so they come back :(. Perhaps fix something up so that is sprays a mist of water over the garden intermittently throughout the day?

Good luck getting rid of your pests.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”