stella1751
Greener Thumb

Eric, for me this forum is about much more than offering advice or sharing experiences. Many of you will be surprised to learn that I teach the art of, well, argumentation (I.e., rhetoric) :roll: There is nothing I love more than a well-constructed, well-presented argument.

That's what it was all about in Ancient Greece: Arguing for the sake of arguing, not to win, not to show another person up, but to clarify your own position while perhaps learning something from the opposition. Argumentation/Rhetoric was the Athenian's version of the video game. It's like mental gymnastics. Naturally, it is important to remain open to another's stance, but this doesn't mean you can't remain true to your own.

I have learned much on these forums, but to be perfectly honest, I am also aware that no one can clear a thread quicker than I can, just because I LOVE to frame an effective argument or, failing that, stir people to think outside the box. Nothing bores me more quickly than a thread composed of a dozen responses that all say the same thing. I have even -- Ahem -- argued things I didn't believe, just because I fear uniformity of thought in our society, especially in our youth.

What I don't like is a poorly constructed argument, a dogmatic argument that is nothing more than a fleshed-out statement of opinion offered to bolster another's ego; an argument that fails to persuade because it is a canned regurgitation of stale, unrelenting attitudes; or an argument rife with fallacious reasoning or, worse, no reasoning at all. I don't see much of that here, and I haven't seen any of that from you.

I like having you on this forum. I think we all benefit from the manner in which you express yourself. If you've written soapbox dogma, I must have missed those threads :oops:

The key to remember is that if something is truly important to you, you want to persuade, not bully. Bullying will turn your reader off in seconds flat. Whoops. I think I just stepped onto my own personal soapbox.

Stick with us, Eric. I have learned from you.

specgrade

stella1751 wrote:Eric, for me this forum is about much more than offering advice or sharing experiences. Many of you will be surprised to learn that I teach the art of, well, argumentation (I.e., rhetoric) :roll: There is nothing I love more than a well-constructed, well-presented argument.

That's what it was all about in Ancient Greece: Arguing for the sake of arguing, not to win, not to show another person up, but to clarify your own position while perhaps learning something from the opposition. Argumentation/Rhetoric was the Athenian's version of the video game. It's like mental gymnastics. Naturally, it is important to remain open to another's stance, but this doesn't mean you can't remain true to your own.

I have learned much on these forums, but to be perfectly honest, I am also aware that no one can clear a thread quicker than I can, just because I LOVE to frame an effective argument or, failing that, stir people to think outside the box. Nothing bores me more quickly than a thread composed of a dozen responses that all say the same thing. I have even -- Ahem -- argued things I didn't believe, just because I fear uniformity of thought in our society, especially in our youth.

What I don't like is a poorly constructed argument, a dogmatic argument that is nothing more than a fleshed-out statement of opinion offered to bolster another's ego; an argument that fails to persuade because it is a canned regurgitation of stale, unrelenting attitudes; or an argument rife with fallacious reasoning or, worse, no reasoning at all. I don't see much of that here, and I haven't seen any of that from you.

I like having you on this forum. I think we all benefit from the manner in which you express yourself. If you've written soapbox dogma, I must have missed those threads :oops:

The key to remember is that if something is truly important to you, you want to persuade, not bully. Bullying will turn your reader off in seconds flat. Whoops. I think I just stepped onto my own personal soapbox.

Stick with us, Eric. I have learned from you.
Wow. I wish I worked with you! That would be fun. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote: I am also aware that no one can clear a thread quicker than I can
That is a bunch of bull&%*$#^!!!! I can clear a thread quicker than you.

And it starts, "No cars!!!! argument on" :P :lol: :wink:

specgrade

tedln wrote:Specgrade,

You are right! I went to the introductions forum expecting a couple of new posts to appear in August. I was surprised to see the first page is all new people who signed up in August. I will try to be more observant and welcoming of new folks. I would hate for them to leave thinking we just aren't friendly.

Ted
Thank you! 8)

I see you jumped in with both feet...that's the spirit! :o

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

I guess I will need to be more careful about how I frame my arguments. Let me know when I get a failing grade please. :D

Ted

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I love this place so much I can't seem to make my way back to garden web. LOL! BUT, it is only because of people like you who make this board what it is :) :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DDF, I can see your reasoning for wanting to give it a break for a bit, but as others have said, your one of the many things/people that/who make this place great.

Now, I know I post a lot, sometimes they are helpful, sometimes they are just inquisitive. The way I see it is who knows how long that post in that thread will remain in the HG archives. OK, so maybe my post didn't benefit the OP that much but maybe, just maybe, someone next year will be doing a forum search and come across what I've posted and it will really help them. Maybe even a lurker will see it and decide to join in.

Regardless, the posts by some of the "experts" on here are what we look forward to. It's these posts that also note when someone like me is posting something that's totally wrong, thus preventing less-experienced from taking such advice :lol:.

An alternative to taking off altogether would be to maybe watch the threads and post on ones that seem to stump most of the other members. :idea:

Well, DDF, if you must take a vacation.......don't make it too long! We'll be here when you get back :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”