MiamiGreen

Starting a new vegetable garden

Was wondering what vegetable and herbs I can plant by seed and which ones I'm going to need to buy that are already sprouting. any help will be greatly appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For you down there in Miami with such a long season, this is a good time to be planting warm season crops. The best ones to plant from seed directly in the ground are the quicker growing varieties, eg. beans, melons, squash.

I would suggest buying tomato and pepper plants, especially if you aren't real experienced at starting things from seed, but now is a good time to plant them.

In Sept- October, you can start the things that don't like the heat, including lettuce, spinach, onions, parsley, which all can be direct seeded. At that time you can also plant broccoli and cabbage, but IMO they would be better started as plants.

Planting guide: https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

MiamiGreen

Thank you very much for replying. I'm going to start ordering some seeds online and doing more research. Ive been told by many nurseries to start planting in a couple weeks when it gets a little bit cooler. Ill keep the site posted.

thanks again

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”