applestar
Mod

Today's Harvest :D

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7860.jpg[/img]

I already have a salad spinner basket full of these small tomatoes -- mostly Principe Borghese, and another 10" colander of the big heirloom tomatoes -- Brandywine S., Cherokee Purple, Bulls Heart, etc. Time to process some tomatoes! :() Oh, and there were another 1/2 dozen strawberries that didn't make it into the photo.... :wink:

Hispoptart

I am so jealous! We're still waiting on our mators to ripen. We have had a small handful of grape mators over the past 2 weeks but thats it. Lots of fruit but still green :( Your gonna eat good tonight!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful!

Yesterday's harvest for me was 17 tomatoes, couple peppers, some chard, couple carrots and a bunch of herbs.

Twice lately I've made herbed new potatoes:

Boil water, throw in a clove of garlic mashed, a bunch of parsley, some salt, some rosemary and dill and let it simmer a few minutes, then put in the new potatoes and boil til tender (no more than 15 minutes, probably less). Strain the cooking water through a strainer to retrieve the herbs and spoon them over the potatoes. Easy and yummy!

The potatoes were ones I dug at the CSA farm and the herbs all from my garden.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hispoptart wrote:I am so jealous! We're still waiting on our mators to ripen. We have had a small handful of grape mators over the past 2 weeks but thats it. Lots of fruit but still green :( Your gonna eat good tonight!
Are you one of those folks that gardens at high elevation where it stays cold well into spring?

Do you start the tomatoes indoors ahead of time? If you look at the thread in Tomato Forum about June racer tomatoes, you will find that many of us, including in cold winter places like Ohio and New Jersey were eating ripe tomatoes in June.

It seems late in the season to still be waiting for that first one... when does frost come back where you are? I only have about another 8 frost free weeks here. (Hard to believe as hot as it's been the past 8 weeks, but likely still true).

Hispoptart

We have about 4 weeks till the first frost, maybe 5 if we are lucky. No we don't start ours indoors, we by the plants and put them in the ground around mothers day, but have to cover them a few times before the last frost hits. We planted celeberties every year and always had a good crop, But I think this one is the latest we ever had. Every one in this area seems to be behind. If all else fails I have boxes to put them in if I need to pick them before they are ripe.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I too am jealous. No ripe tomatoes here yet. Just starting to get some corn and about one day off on the first cuke.

Zapatay

my turn! :)
[img]https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q157/zapatay/utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTYtMjAxMDA4MDgtMTQ0My5qcGc.jpg[/img]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Awe wish I could go back to earlier in the summer when the garden was still giving up radishes and beans and squash in mass numbers! Now everything is just winding down. Blight is doing its thing... Squashbugs are uncontrolable. I always miss the early summer this time of year. Ready to start winter stuff. The weather is just not cooperating enough for the second summer plantings.

BP

Very nice.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, looking good.

Many of my first heirlooms rotted, but now things are starting to pick up. I'm getting tons of chocolate cherry toms and more beefsteak-type ones, too.

The squash is done (except for a few plants), I didn't get as much of a harvest as I would have liked to, probably due to planting too close together. I'll be giving them more room next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”