csvd87

garden5 wrote:Peppers love that warm soil. One thing I've found out is to germinate them under lights. Now, I've not found this to help with the actual germination (though some say it does), but it keeps them from getting leggy. I germinated some early this year, but could not have the lights where I had the plants (kept them in this tight area since it had heat) and they all got leggy after just a day or two without the lights.
If you read somegeek's thread "My First Starter Attempt..."
at the end he compares putting 6 bhut jolokia seeds in a pot covered with saran wrap in his server closet with only heat no light and has 1 seedling after 3 to 4 weeks where as he puts 6 in a pot covered with saran wrap and puts it under his light and gets 5 in 7 days.
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13054&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105[/url]

Its the thread that really inspired me :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:
garden5 wrote:Peppers love that warm soil. One thing I've found out is to germinate them under lights. Now, I've not found this to help with the actual germination (though some say it does), but it keeps them from getting leggy. I germinated some early this year, but could not have the lights where I had the plants (kept them in this tight area since it had heat) and they all got leggy after just a day or two without the lights.
If you read somegeek's thread "My First Starter Attempt..."
at the end he compares putting 6 bhut jolokia seeds in a pot covered with saran wrap in his server closet with only heat no light and has 1 seedling after 3 to 4 weeks where as he puts 6 in a pot covered with saran wrap and puts it under his light and gets 5 in 7 days.
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13054&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105[/url]

Its the thread that really inspired me :)
That thread is great, it gave me hope for my peppers while they were seedling growing in the winter waiting for transplant. I was afraid they were in too small containers and would be too root-bout by spring. Safe to say, it all went well.

I thought about his experiment, but the way I see it is this, the pepper seeds are buried in the dirt, so they won't seen any light until they germinate, anyway :?.

Here's my theory: The light got the top layer of soil much warmer than just the ambient heat in the closet. Thus, there was faster germination. What do you think?

csvd87

I know it was here we were discussing Jalapeno varieties, well I was at the farmers market today and I found one called El Jefe, they are about 4" long and about 1 1/4" wide. they seem like monsters to the ones I am growing.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:I know it was here we were discussing Jalapeno varieties, well I was at the farmers market today and I found one called El Jefe, they are about 4" long and about 1 1/4" wide. they seem like monsters to the ones I am growing.
Yeah, back to the jalapenos. What's funny is, I'm growing (at least to my knowledge) regular jalapenos, yet I'm finding that if I leave them on the plant long enough, they top out at 3, mayyyyyyybe 3 1/2 inches. I'll bet if you let those giant jalapenos stay on the plant until you start seeing some cracks, you could eek out a 5 incher 8).

csvd87

garden5 wrote:
csvd87 wrote:I know it was here we were discussing Jalapeno varieties, well I was at the farmers market today and I found one called El Jefe, they are about 4" long and about 1 1/4" wide. they seem like monsters to the ones I am growing.
Yeah, back to the jalapenos. What's funny is, I'm growing (at least to my knowledge) regular jalapenos, yet I'm finding that if I leave them on the plant long enough, they top out at 3, mayyyyyyybe 3 1/2 inches. I'll bet if you let those giant jalapenos stay on the plant until you start seeing some cracks, you could eek out a 5 incher 8).
I woulda taken a pic of that El Jefe next to one of mine, but I ate it :( haha I chopped it up and put it in a salsa I whipped up last night involving other farm market veg. I used 1 Green Zebra tomato and 1 Lemon Boy. and 1 El Jefe (coulda used 2) and some salt... If it wasn't at 10pm I woulda gone out to find some cilantro. oh and some of a leftover red onion.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”