bnther

What happened to my pumpkin?

I noticed my leaves were looking a little wilted which I thought was really weird considering the amount of rain that we've been getting. Upon further investigation, I found that the stalk had been cut off right at ground level.

What in the world could have done this and more importantly, what should I do to protect the rest of my pumpkin plants?

[img][url]https://gtworkspace.com/pumpkin/[/url][/img]

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

squash vine borer damage.....I'd bet my life on it.

EG

bnther

engineeredgarden wrote:squash vine borer damage.....I'd bet my life on it.

EG
Thanks for the reply.

I had to look the squash vine borer up on the internet to see what it was. As soon as I saw it, I knew you were right. I had even noticed the 'buzzing' adult that the article had mentioned but didn't know what it was. So is my next pumpkin plant forfeit or is there something I can spray on it to save it?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm...you could try wrapping the base stem of the plan in aluminum foil, as I've heard of that as a preventative. However, if the SVB is already in the plant, it may be a goner.

What you can try if the SVB has already invaded is cut the stem with a razor-blade, extract the grub, them cover over the stem with some soil. Aside from that, your best bet may be to try for a second planting.

bnther

garden5 wrote:Hmmm...you could try wrapping the base stem of the plan in aluminum foil, as I've heard of that as a preventative. However, if the SVB is already in the plant, it may be a goner.

What you can try if the SVB has already invaded is cut the stem with a razor-blade, extract the grub, them cover over the stem with some soil. Aside from that, your best bet may be to try for a second planting.
Thanks for that.

The more I research on this bug, the more I know that you're right. I remember seeing the 'squash bug nymphs' on the leaves and wondering at what kind of critters they were. They were just nameless bugs at the time, no I'll know that I should care a little more.

I'm going to go out this morning and try my luck at operating on a plant. I'm no doctor so we'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

GOOD LUCK!

It seems like everyone's getting the SVB this year. I know a man who just pulled all his SVB-killed squash and is planting beans and peas for a fall crop.

That's your next best option. Right now, I'm sure you could get in some peas, radishes...even lettuce.

bnther

THANKS

I cut into the stems and hit the core with a water bottle in order to jet out all of the bugs. After I cleaned it out as best I could, I put a few inches of mud over the operated area and crossed my fingers. It's been 2 full days, and the leaves aren't wilted yet, so maybe....

I should know more by the end of this week if it's going to make it or not. I planted two more pumpkins hoping that maybe I'll get some miniature produce for Halloween. That might be overly optimistic as well. The days are getting shorter now, but it's better than giving up.

Thanks again for the help

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”