LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Second watermelon crops?

I alway thought that watermelons produced 2-4 melons on the vines per year. When those fruits were ripe, the vines were done. Went out this evening to find 2 NEW MELONS on the OLD vines. Male flowers too! I harvested my last watermelon over 3 weeks ago. My DH mowed them back almost to the mounds, there were only a few vines left lingering between the mounds.

They probably won't mature in time before frost hits, but there's always a chance!!! I could be having watermelon in OCTOBER 8) !!!! HAAha!

Better get the paper plates back out to go under them. ;) :()

Anyone else ever experience this?

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Most of my vines have a surge of new growth as well, but I really don't expect anything from it. Still, it won't hurt to try....

EG

BP

Mine didn't produce new fruit for about 2-3 weeks and all of a sudden a new one appeared. It didn't get large at all.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

My one squash plant did something like this. It kind of died out, but then it sent out new growth. Unfortunately, the SVB got to it and that was the end of that.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Seems like I have never had anything worthwhile out of that "secondary" run of melons on the vines ... maybe other folks have better luck.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Oh! I hope so... Maybe the heat will maintain itself through October. The first ones ripened early. Prolly cause it was so hot earlier in the season. It's still very hot how. Oh, I hope :()

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking that if you got the secondary vines early enough and were in a warmer climate, you'd be able to get something out of them. However, as the frost dates get closer, your chances diminish.

MaryDel

Throw a handful of 5-10-10 around the base of each plant after you pick your first melon. I get a second run of melons that ripen in mid september. Not all of them are good though.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Haha! Warmer is an understatement. Picked the last melon on this particular mound about a month ago. Got some composted chicken poo, will use that.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hmmm, it sounds like you might make it.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Hey are growing!!! Softball sized now!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”