engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

garden5 - I generally get about 2 lbs./sqft - but that's in containers, of course. No hilling required for sweet potatoes.....

EG

applestar
Mod

In my case, I plant the slips as early as I can, then harvest before the plants die. I've read that unlike regular potatoes, letting the vines die down can affect keeping quality of the tubers. So I let a couple of light frosts pass, protecting the vines with floating covers. Sometimes we get really warm~almost hot weather for a couple of weeks after the first frost.

When I know there's a frost coming that will be severe enough to do more than top-leaf damage, I dig them all up.

With sweet potatoes, you need to "cure" the tubers after harvest in a warm somewhat humid location. Last year, I tried plastic lined cardboard box with a few holes punched for ventilation and "hot water" soda bottles. The tubers themselves seem to generate some warmth as well. This year, I have the seed heating mat, so I might try using that.

If anyone has a good proven curing method let us know. 8)

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

applestar - that's why I harvest mine during the last 2 weeks of September, so there's enough warm days left to properly cure them in the shade. We generally eat them all at thanksgiving (if not before)

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
If anyone has a good proven curing method let us know. 8)
I am new to Sweet potatoes, but my curing last year consisted of in the basement. They all lasted great and as I said I still have one that could be eaten on my table outside if you were to take off the slips. Mine kept very well without the high humidity and heat.

But as some of us know I don't follow the rules too much. I just do what feels good, mainly because I don't know any better or care one little bit what others have to say. :lol: (no offense)

I have been harvesting basil all year and the 1/3 harvesting rule, I am not following and never have I lost a plant. Case in point do what works for you.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

But as some of us know I don't follow the rules too much. I just do what feels good, mainly because I don't know any better or care one little bit what others have to say. (no offense)
:wink:

applestar
Mod

Gixx -- OK, so don't stop there. What was the average temperature and humidity in your basement for the period of about 1 month after harvest. What did you keep them in, and where in the basement did you put them (on the floor near the water heater, near the ceiling on a shelf, near the washer/dryer...)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

engineeredgarden wrote:garden5... No hilling required for sweet potatoes.....
That's probably true for a lot of folks.

I do hill my Sweet Potatoes. My soil is heavy clay, and the Sweets do much better (for me) if I prepare a nice hill of loose soil for them to grow the tubers in.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Gixx -- OK, so don't stop there. What was the average temperature and humidity in your basement for the period of about 1 month after harvest. What did you keep them in, and where in the basement did you put them (on the floor near the water heater, near the ceiling on a shelf, near the washer/dryer...)
Now that is a hard one. The temp was probably around 50-65 not so sure on the humidity but is rather humid here in the summer I guess in the fall it is about mid hundreds outside. I have no idea what it would be inside. I will tell you it gets very cold in the basement we only have one air duct and it is usually shut or pointed at the starters if they are going. I just put them in a cardboard box I believe I may have had a towel over them. That was placed on a table in the middle of my basement. Nothing special at all.

I didn't loos a single one to rot. They were all nice and hard this spring. Most of them were smaller, I ate the big ones. :lol: But I did save a few big ones for sprouting.

Here is the last one it has been sitting on my table outside mostly in the shade for a few months now being totally neglected for most of that time. You may be able to see in the middle where I cut out a few slips. This one here is still pretty solid just a touch of softness to it but not much. I have actually been thing of just throwing this in the ground either that or the compost. I thought it might be too late to grow any potatoes from it now.

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04003.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

At this point, you might consider potting up just a few (like 3 slips) to grow over the winter like a house plant (Put them in a hanging basket). Then you can just chop them up into little cuttings next spring. I think Ozark Lady mentioned doing this.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:At this point, you might consider potting up just a few (like 3 slips) to grow over the winter like a house plant (Put them in a hanging basket). Then you can just chop them up into little cuttings next spring. I think Ozark Lady mentioned doing this.
That is a great idea. Thanks :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Also, has anyone here found sweet potatoes difficult to grow? I've heard that they are one of the hardest vegetables to grow.

Also, what are you guys talking about with "curing"? That's a new one to me.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Also, has anyone here found sweet potatoes difficult to grow? I've heard that they are one of the hardest vegetables to grow.

Also, what are you guys talking about with "curing"? That's a new one to me.
Here is one take on it [url=https://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_livestock/crops/sweet_potatoes/LSU+AgCenter+Horticulturist+Discusses+Curing+and+Storing+Sweet+Potatoes.htm]Curing Sweet potatoes[/url]. There are different ideas out some are pretty intense on the EXACT way it should be done.

I left mine in the garden for a few day's, than on a table for a day or 2 than in the basement they went.

I'm sure you know but the curing helps them store longer same thing for onions, garlic, irish potatoes etc.

applestar
Mod

I think they're not hard to grow. The hard part for me is keeping them in the ground long enough to get them to grow worthwhile tubers.

This spring, I experimented with ways to grow sturdier slips earlier by taking advantage of spring sunshine.

Next year, I'm going to try to extend the early season and give the slips an earlier start in the ground.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I think that is the key giving them time Apple. I couldn't get slips going this year till late. Now I know how I think. But some of my plants are from a nursery and they were late of course right about the time I started getting my own slips. Go figure, but they do need a lot of time in the ground.

I'm hoping for the best last year for some reason one of my plants dwarfed the yield from all of my other plants put together. Not sure what I did different. It would be nice to know.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”