DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yellow and Purple beans

Hey everyone,

I'm growing bush Yellow Pencil Pod and bush Purple Queen. They both seem prolific. I was wondering if you have a favorite pole variety in the yellow and or purple color. I'm currently supply 5lbs a week to a owner of two B&Bs. Next year I would like to supply 10 to 20lbs a week. I could just plant more bush beans, but pole varieties yield more and easier to pick.

This is 2 1/2lbs of beans
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02644.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

If you want prolific, try [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82463#82463]Purple Podded Pole beans[/url]. Vigorous vines, gorgeous flowers that hummers love. Tasty beans too. They're flat pods though I don't think they're called Roma type.

I'm growing Yellow Pencil Pod too. Not sure if I was skimping on location, but they did not seem very prolific to me. The other yellow podded beans that I've grown is Marvel of Venice, Roma type pole beans. OPPOSITE of vigorous, though the beans are tasty. I hope someone else has a better recommendation because I'm looking to switch.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, here's something that I've been wondering: do the yellow and purple pods produce yellow or purple beans?

Sorry if that's a dumb one, I've never cut into one of these peppers to see :roll:.

applestar
Mod

It depends on the variety. Yellow Pencil Pod, when fully mature and dried, are black beans, but while young, they're white in color. Purple Podded Pole beans have sort of seafoam grean beans while immature but dried, are tan to light brown.

Look at Edamame. The variety called 'Tamba Kuro Otsubu (Large Seeded Black from Tamba)' are green while young. They're even green when fully mature shelled beans, but as soon as they're dried, they turn black. They also shrink from oblong to spherical in shape. 8)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, so there's really no correlation between bean-pod color and the actual bean....learned something new :D.

I hate to grow to dry-bean stage and see the pod go to wast, so I usually just eat all mind as green beans.

I'm not certain, but I think you will get lower yields if you leave them on the plant rather than pick them younger.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm not certain, but I think you will get lower yields if you leave them on the plant rather than pick them younger.
Yes :)

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh those look wonderful!!! I only have bush beans going right now general "garden bean".
I am going to be planting some yard long beans next spring and my husband found the purple beans in one of my books and said I have to get some! (purple is my favorite color so hes finding all sorts of purple veggies for me!) :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Like Applestar has pointed out, and demonstarted, they will turn green while cooking.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”