R. Mills

Does fertilizer mitgate the need for crop rotation ?

I was just wondering because my first planting of peas is all done. Yesterday I cleared out all the old plants (mostly dead), leaving the roots in the ground. Added Plant Tone plant food (Is this the same as fertilizer ?) and planted the second planting. Than I started to hear something about crop rotation. Thanks for all your help on my corn issues.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes and no. In gardens, because it is cheap and easy to fertilize the main reason for crop rotation is to prevent disease buildup.

In farming, where fertilizer is more expensive and application of individual levels of N, P, and K can be monitored more easily, rotating soybeans, corn, wheat, hay over four years is to reduce fertilizer use.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ's got it right. While crop-rotation in gardening does help to prevent nutrient-drain, especially where heavy feeders are grown, it's done primarily to prevent pests and disease buildup.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Added Plant Tone plant food (Is this the same as fertilizer ?)
Yes.

Most commercial fertilizers will have an NPK rating on them. N is for nitrogen, P is for phosphorous, and K is for potash. This gives you an idea of what is in the mix.

High Nitrogen fertilizers are appropriate for corn and other heavy feeders. Fertilizers with a 16-8-8 mix are great for most garden vegetables.

You want to be careful with any of it. Too much will actually kill your palnts. Read the label. Usually application rates are given.

Yes, it is good to fertilize just before planting. It gets your plants off to a good start.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I'd stick with more organic fertilizers like blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, fish emulsion, etc. It's the salt based ferts that can really wreak havoc on your soil's microorganisms.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

G5,

I believe Plant-tone is organic. 5-3-3.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”