shaefins

Fish

I have an organic fish/seaweed blend fertilizer. Can/should I be using this on my producing plants right now (tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, green and wax beans, cukes, pepperoncini)? Wasn't sure how that would affect blossoming and fruit set.

Medium is compost, peat and vermiculite. I've not added anything since, oh, May, as far as this fertilizer goes. Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You say producing plants? Not much use adding fertilizer now. The time to fertilize is when you plant, and on some things a side dressing later, but before it blooms. You want to get the plant off to a good start. Some things = non legumes.

shaefins

Jal, the peppers and green beans are still putting out tiny, new blossoms. Still no go for fert?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Legumes, peas and beans often have nodules on the roots where nitrogen fixing bacteria live and grab nitrogen out of the air and fix it so the plants can use it. Planting them in good fertile soil is a plus for sure, but subsequent additions of fertilizer are not needed.

When plants are growing and before they bloom, they pretty much gather and synthesize what they will need to make fruit. This food is stored in the roots and tissues of the plant. The exception is water. Keep them watered well. Fertilizing after they bloom really doesn't help much.

Corn sure benefits from a little shot of nitrogen just before it tassles.

That is probably pretty light weight fertilizer, put some on if you wish.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I never knew that plants gather all the nutrients they need for fruit production and store them prior to producing fruit. Maybe that explains why my tomatoes aren't ripening, the plant never go enough nutrition during it's growing period :idea:.

Thanks for the tip.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If you were to apply any fertilizer at all, I would recommend higher numbers in the P and mostly K. Phosphorus and potassium. Potassium maybe needed after fruit set.

Eric

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

This year I made it a priority to fertilize every few weeks. So far it seems to be helping. But then again it appears our garden is lacking something because the plants all turn yellow between times adding fertilizer. I mix my own stuff, putting in a good amount of bone meal and potash. Recently I've been trying to seek more balance, because it appears my plants need Nitrogen too.

As far as fert, only apply it if the plants seem to be suffering and recover after. Not all areas of our garden need the same amount.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Compost is the best fertilizer there is.....and for the most part it's already balanced (levels of microbes).

Maybe it was the lack of compost in my soil that caused some of the tomato troubles.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”