sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

summer squash question

how do I know if my squash is just on its way out and being done producing or if they are not producing well because of the squash borers? I have a bunch of borers in the squash and I don't' know if they plants are not producing because of that or if its just late in the season. I don't want to keep trying to get the borers out etc if they aren't going to produce any more anwyays, ya know? is there a way to tell?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not being a smarty pants, but are there any flower buds :?: That is the first thing I would be looking for. :)

Not sure what part of Maine you are in, but your temperatures are probably close to ours. low 80's day mid 50's night. Mine are just starting full fruit production.

I would wait a little longer, unless you need room for something else.

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

there aren't as many flowers as there were. but if they are stressed won't they not flower? this is the question... how do you know if they aren't flowering as much from stress or if it is from ending production ya know?

our weather is still hot (well minus today where it was a cooler today) but its been 90's and humid.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

In general, I've found that squash will keep going until they are just about dead. Granted, the levels of production will vary due to disease and stress and weather. If you have some female flowers emerging, I'd let the go and see if you can't get another harvest out of them.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

My summer squash pretty much wore itself out producing. When the vines reached about five feet long, the new leaves and blossoms were at the far end of the vine. They were still producing, but the blossoms and fruit were tiny. I pulled all of them and replanted about a week ago. I'm hoping the new plants will produce until frost. In my climate with good soil, they grow fast and bloom quickly. I've never attempted to grow squash twice in the same season. In the past, I simply stuck with the overgrown, wore out; plants until they eventually died.

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I would think you shouldn't have a problem with that Ted. We have a very short season here in WI and I could get darn close to two squash plantings!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've considered 2 squash plantings, but always assumed that my season was to short, as well. However, Dix, you're a zone higher than me, so if you can do it, I'm sure that next year, with a little planning, so can I.

Thanks for the inspiration.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I'm pretty sure I can get two plantings of squash in, but in the past; I simply stuck with what was working. I'm one of those people who is reluctant to trade in an old car so long as it is still barely running.

Ted

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Our growing season goes from about May 19 to Sept 22 give or take. Most people wait for Memorial weekend to plant things like toms, peppers. squash, and other warm weather loving plants. Had I planted the first week of may and used row covers, then used them again this fall I could have easily had two squash plantings. But the garden was such a mess this year that I didn't plant squash until about the third week in June. I have squash coming out of my ears with no end in sight though! And (fingers crossed) these plants should hopefully produce until first frost. Had I planted at the normal time my squash would be done right about now.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dixana,

Planting squash late can also help you avoid SVB's. In some (warmer) parts of the country, we have two cycles of SVB. One is fairly early in the spring or summer. The other comes later in the summer. If you have experienced an infestation of SVB's this year, and you live in the north east, you probably can avoid SVB's by replanting now.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If you pre-started your squash indoors, that would help you shave a week or two off your growing time as well.

Dix, your season starts off about the same time mine does, but we don't get a frost 'till about mid-Oct. I think if use some covers like you suggested, I could get in two planting next year and beat the SVB!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”