Scarecrow

Cucumber Disease Resistance

Well my unknown variety of pickling cucumbers is pretty much done for due to powdery mildew and me removing diseased leaves. They are looking pitiful and producing very little fruit now. What fruit they are producing look strange and misshapen. I like eating the cukes rather than pickling them.

Anyway I want to plant a more disease resistance variety next year but don't have any idea of which variety to choose.
After searching the net I found a couple of tables which shows disease resistance for many varieties of cukes.

This table shows disease resistance varieties for [url=https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Tables/CucSlicersTable.html]slicers[/url] and this one for [url=https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Tables/CucPicklesTable.html]picklers[/url].

Anyone care to suggest a variety of pickling cucumbers to plant?

Thanks,

Scarecrow

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I plant Marketmore 76 which is supposed to have disease resistance. It is a slicer type, but makes good pickles too if picked small. I don't have the problems with disease and fungi though because of the dry climate here .

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's a pretty nice list, I'll have to save it for future reference.

I've never tried them, but I think I've heard some good things about Jackson Classic.

Scarecrow

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

I may try the Marketmore 76 next year.

Thanks,

Scarecrow

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Scarecrow wrote:Thanks to both of you for your suggestions!

I may try the Marketmore 76 next year.

Thanks,

Scarecrow
I think you'll have good luck with it. I know of several people who switched from Marketmore only to go back to it because of how well it did.

Happy planning :wink:.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Someone on the forum asked a question about the Diva variety. I wasn't familiar with it, so I checked a few seed vendors and most of them claimed it is resistant to almost all cucumber disease. I have no idea how accurate the information is, but I may try them next year.

Ted

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Count me as one who will be going back to marketmore.

Scarecrow

Anyone know if Eureka cucumbers are any good?

From the picklers link above they list is as the most disease resistance of all cukes.

I found this description on the net which has piqued my interest.

The Eureka hybrid cucumber is a dual purpose slicer/pickler that features disease resistance. Quite simply, because of its versatility it just might be the only cucumber a home gardener needs to plants.

Cucumbers are great for diets and healthy in other respects, too. They consist of about 90% water, but still are nourishing, containing both vitamins A and C as well as sulfur, manganese, phosphorus, silicon, sodium, calcium and potassium. One 5.3 ounce serving has only about 25 calories, so you can eat a lot of Eureka cucumbers and not gain a pound. The strong, vigorous plants set a load of uniform, firm, shite-spined, very dark green fruits.

The dark green peel makes it very appealiing when sliced for salads, or for the darkest green batch of pickles you've ever made!

This variety grows well on a fence or trellis for easy harvest, but growing it on the ground works well too. This is also a monoecious variety and it requires no other pollinator since the vines produce both male and female flowers. Maturity is 57 days from direct seeding.

This is a dark green salad cucumber from small sizes on up, and it's a marvelous pickling cucumber from 2-5 inches long. For best quality as a slicing variety, use the fruits from tiny sizes up to about 7 inches long. Eureka can grow through troubles in the garden and yield a huge crop over a long picking season. It is resistant to angular leaf spot, downy mildew, papaya ring spot, scab, watermelon mosaic virus, zucchini yellows virus, Anthracnose races 1 and 2, cucumber mosaic virus and powdery mildew. now that's a lot of disease resistance and Eureka is unique in this respect.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Count me as one who will be going back to marketmore.
Join the club :wink:. However, I must say that I do love those long "burpless" ones.

Ted, It sounds like there may be a little hype thrown into those seed-descriptions. Well, only one way to find out for sure :roll:.l

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Did anyone ever do grow outs for these?

mattie g
Green Thumb

Lindsaylew82 wrote:Did anyone ever do grow outs for these?
Just to chime in...

I'm growing Marketmore 97 and McPick this year, and there's no question at al that McPick is outproducing Marketmore. My Marketmores are struggling a little bit. They get pretty much the same sun and water as the McPicks, but they're a little scrawny and just haven't taken off. The McPicks are absolutely killing it...which is nice since I prefer garlic dill pickles to fresh cucumbers. I have three plants of each - I've harvested one Marketmore and ten McPicks.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”