applestar
Mod

This year's Birdhouse Gourd so far

Birdhouse Gourds are doing really well so far:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7725.jpg[/img]

They are growing in the Kids' Garden:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7728.jpg[/img]

specgrade

Okay, I'm lost...do the birds make their own houses out of the gourds or do you? I honestly don't know a thing about these. They look really neat just hanging around!

shadowsmom

You have to help the process along. I would let them dry out until I could hear the seeds rattle around. They you cut a hole sized for whatever bird you are trying to get move in, remove as much of the seeds as you can, and then the fun part. You can paint/decorate them, or leave natural, protect with some polyurethane and hang them up and watch the birds take up residence. It is a fun project.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What type birds are you trying to attract?

Do you have a plan on how to build the bird houses?

applestar
Mod

I did a lot of research on how to turn these gourds into birdhouses last year. I picked one method last fall that didn't work out so well -- the gourds turned into delicate ornaments -- very nice looking ones, but were too fragile to really work. I hung one out anyway, but nobird moved in.

This year, I'll most likely follow a method similar to what shadowsmom said. My one issue with it is that in the past, the gourds became very moldy. I wish I had a warm dry attic because that sounds like the best place to put these. As it is, if they're going to get moldy during the process, I don't want them in the upstairs bedrooms....

Much as I hate using bleach for anything, I may try washing with 10% bleach solution before drying them.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:What type birds are you trying to attract?

Do you have a plan on how to build the bird houses?
Nature builds the house, you just add the hole to it :wink:. There really is no building, the house is just the gourd.

I like you trellising system, AS.

shadowsmom

Applestar - try putting them in a really low temp oven for a few hours after they have dried for a little bit. I found that helped cut down on the mold issue. I have an enclosed porch facing South where I place them to dry, somewhat successfully.

applestar
Mod

Birds to attract: Mostly House Wrens with these. Chickadees if they're willing. Love to have Titmouse move in but they haven't in any of my other wooden bird houses so far.

Thanks :D The trellis "system" is two cheap arch trellises from craft store, joined with 8' bamboo poles. I've had to "splint" the legs with U posts because the trellises are made with hollow tubes. Still, it does the job and I like the design. I would LOVE to replace these with some serious arch trellises. One idea I had was the cattle panel, but I couldn't move one let alone pick it up. :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try the oven method. Sounds like a good idea. :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

One year I planted bird house gourds. They smelled terrible. They smelled about like rotted garbage. One plant made 20+ gourds. I left them hang in the garden after the weather turned cold then I moved them inside the garage to dry out naturally for a few months. Most birds do not like the entrance hole closer than about 4" from the bottom. All birds like ventilation so you need to drill a few 1/4" holes in the bottom, sides and several at the top. 3/4" entrance hole is good for Wrens. 7/8" hole is good for sparrows. My first year I did not paint or varnish the goards and they all decomposed while hanging in the trees and I had to take them all down. My second attempt I painted the gourds but no birds would live in them. Third try I drilled a 1/4 hole below the entrance hole for a short 2" long wooden dowel rod so the bird would have a place to land but still no birds. I gave up after that. But I had NO ventilation holes and my entrance hole was in the WRONG place. Another thing I have learned since then is, if you hang 25 bird houses in trees all facing a different direction given a choice the birds will almost always move into the house with the entrance hole facing East or South or something inbetween. I have never had a bird in a house where the entrance faces North or West there must be a reason why but I have no idea what it is. Bird brain is smarter than me. Birds also seem to like the houses hanging by a wire about 10 ft off the ground, too high or too low and they won't live in it. This is what I am experencing in Tennessee so it may or may not be the same where you live. I am having very good luck building wooden bird houses these days with pressure treated lumber. Around here the bird house needs to be in the tree by the 1st of March.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good Apple. I still have my single bird house gourd from last year. cured, cleaned, drilled, painted and ready to go. I have yet to put it out though.

Is it too late to put it out? Or should I just6 do it? I thought it may be too late but maybe this is the time for the birds to see it and think "I will come back here next year".

Still working on the birds lifestyle as far as when and how to put up bird houses.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.yourgardenretreatblog.com/2008/09/put-up-your-birdhouse-this-fall-waiting.html]Put up your birdhouse this fall![/url] :o.

shadowsmom

I was thinking about the mold issue - maybe cleaning them with vinegar would be sufficient. You could do it outside in a bucket and not stink up the house. I know a lot of people who use diluted vinegar in a spray bottle on bathroom mold and they swear by it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”