hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Edamame, year two (edited to correct third photo)

Planted more edamame this year. Got very poor results in the garden soil, but off of the charts in the raised beds. I have three varieties planted in 3 foot by 4 foot beds which should make more than enough for fresh eating plus will give excess for freezing. Will likely do another 25 square feet next year, or not if my fall crop does well this year. These varieties taste a good bit better than 'beer friend' which we grew last year.

Three to four foot tall edamame plants, just beginning to bloom.

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4861086621_76e5905fb9_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4861708090_6ef7a28fb6_o.jpg[/img]

We have been eating for about a week on two earlier varieties. The plants are much smaller but are very productive. Anyone know if the plants will rebloom and give a second crop?
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4861708328_663d915cb1_o.jpg[/img]
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Don't you just love Edamame!!! I planted a row in my garden this spring and they are now gone, but I got enough off those plants for my wife, daughter and myself to eat our fill and had enough to put 4 quart bags full in the freezer.

I especially like the compact space needed for these plants and the fact each plant produces so many pods. Many of my plants had between 35-50 usable pods and from your pics, it looks like you have the same.

I'll get another planting in soon since our winters are very mild and should be able to harvest another crop.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Yay! Let me know what varieties you like best. I love edamame in salads and am planning on planting next year. I'm fairly certain I just read that you can make tofu from soybeans so I might look into that too!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote:Yay! Let me know what varieties you like best.

The last 2 seasons I grew Lucky Lion and had very good results with both plant health and crop output. Just for something different, I'll put in some Early Hakucho in about a week or so. I ordered these from a website located at www.evergreenseeds.com They have a large selection of Japanese garden variety seeds. I also ordered some pretty interesting seeds for salad greens.

I just read that you can make tofu from soybeans so I might look into that too!
Not sure of the process for making tofu, but I would tend to believe it would take a whole lot of soybeans to make it worthwhile. Then again, I'm not real big on tofu even though I don't mind it in Won Ton and Hot and Sour Soup.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”