jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gumbo 2176, Thanks. Not to hijack this thread, there is more on my garden [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]Here[/url]

My bean poles are willow shoots. Inexpensive. :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wow, very impressive. Only up to 3 hrs. a day to maintain that large a plot is a part-time job with full time benefits. You obviously know what you're doing since all plots look to be in excellent condition.

I too used willow shoots for my pole beans. I'd cut them from the Miss. River batture (the area between the levee and the rivers edge.)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I think it was blue lake that I had planted. But they just don't seem to ever stop growing, is that normal?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

AS that is a FANTASTIC idea. I'm wondering of it would work for me to put a few arches over a raised bed to let the pole beans climb and plant lettuce and spinach and things like that beneath them so not only allow for more food but to help shade them when summer heat sets in and possibly extend their time.
:shock: It's just brilliance :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well now I'm really ticked because my almost 6y old let 2 of the chickens out without telling me and they got into the garden and trampled a bunch of my bush beans. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: I am irate. GRRRRRRRRRRR! so I guess I can officially say that I prefer pole beans right now ROFL. those can't get trampled!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I gave pole beans a go this year, and, I must say, they just keep growing and growing. They actually got all tangled-up with my cucumbers since some of them were planted too close.

I think I underestimated the height that the fence would have to be. I had a 2 foot tall chicken-wire fence that I planted them along and right now, they are all just clustered up, sprawling across the top of it :lol:.

I think next year, if I don't have a trellis large enough, I'll go with bush beans as they really don't need support.

I'm still picking a lot of beans, though.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="garden5"]

I think I underestimated the height that the fence would have to be. I had a 2 foot tall chicken-wire fence that I planted them along and right now, they are all just clustered up, sprawling across the top of it :lol:.

The top of my 2 trellises are close to 7 ft. off the ground and my pole beans and cucumbers always reach the top and cluster there. My current crop of Kentucky Wonder and Japanese Yard Longs are making their way to the top of the trellis very quickly-----especially the yard longs. I like the idea of an arbor like another poster mentioned, so other, less heat tolerant crops can grow under it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:
garden5 wrote:

The top of my 2 trellises are close to 7 ft. off the ground and my pole beans and cucumbers always reach the top and cluster there. My current crop of Kentucky Wonder and Japanese Yard Longs are making their way to the top of the trellis very quickly-----especially the yard longs. I like the idea of an arbor like another poster mentioned, so other, less heat tolerant crops can grow under it.
Yeah, the arbor idea is definitely one to try next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”