orgoveg
Green Thumb

When do turnips and kale bolt to seed?

I left turnips in the ground waiting for them to bolt and it never happened. They eventually died. Same with the kale, but they are still thriving. No sign of flowering.

Anyone have tips for success with these? (I want to save seeds, of course).

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

They eventually died, yet they are still thriving???
OK, which is it?

I believe these plants have a biennial growth habit. If you can winter them over they will bloom the second year.

TWC015

Those plants are indeed biennials and need the cold to flower.

Brassicas in my garden will overwinter right in the garden.

If you want seeds from those, you should probably plant more soon and let them overwinter. They may not need protection as all of my Brassicas survived temperatures as low as 13°F and several days below freezing (the plants were quite stressed). I don't know your climate though.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

A-ha! Biennial. Now I know what to do. Thanks alot.

Jal ut - the turnips died, the kale is still thriving.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If you've ever grown onions for seed, these work the same way. Occasionally, you will get first-season bolting if you get hit with a cold spell in the middle of growth.

applestar
Mod

FYI: This spring, just for fun, I took a turnip top (attached to a generous cone cut out of the turnip) and planted it in the ground with just the top of the turnip showing. It rooted and flowered -- attracted a lot of beneficial insects.

It probably would have made seeds too but I'd planted it in a bad location and needed the spot PLUS it was a store bought turnip and I had no idea what variety, hybrid status, etc. So I cut it down.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”