tedln
Super Green Thumb

Weird critters in the garden!

I have a lot of grasshoppers in my garden every year. They usually are not a problem because they normally don't start eating the garden until late in the summer when the garden is dieing anyhow. This year, they are huge looking like small birds when they fly up from the ground. I planted some Swiss chard a few weeks ago and the grasshoppers kept it chewed to ground level as it germinated.

Now I have a very large population of green frogs which live under the timbers of the raised beds. I suppose the frogs have multiplied in response to the grasshopper population.

I hope the snake population doesn't increase in response to the frog population. I try to achieve a natural balance in my garden, but this is crazy. I wonder how those jalapenos would taste wrapped in bacon with a frog leg inside the jalapeno.

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There is actually a major plague of the critters happening right now throughout the west and parts of the midwest. I've read different articles that refer to it in such terms as "of mythic proportions."

Wikipedia has an interesting article, that includes information about how swarming behavior develops in grasshoppers. The process, which is set off by overcrowding, includes physical changes in coloration and size, after which the "grasshoppers" become what are called "locusts." They swarm, their appetites increase markedly, and they breed prolifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Kisal,

I've seen it before. I believe everything in nature occurs in cycles. We have a lot of oak trees that some years are covered in caterpillars in the spring. They peak in population one year and none appear again for four or five years. This past fall, we had an infestation of Army worms that consumed large areas of lawn grasses as they emerged from their pupal stage in the soil. I don't expect them again this year. This year, the hot, dry weather seems to have stimulated the reproductive instincts of the grasshoppers causing them to morph into the their locust phase. Two years ago, we had a fall infestation of the imported lady beetle (imagine your house ceiling inside covered with lady bugs) They bite and it hurts. We normally must use pesticides to control the population of imported fire ants. If they are not controlled, they build nests in electrical boxes in homes and businesses. Eventually their nests grow causing electrical shorts resulting in homes burned to the ground. This year I haven't found a fire ant anywhere on my property. I don't really care, it's all just part of the natural order.

Ted

kgall

On any warm fall day you can go outside and look up at our house...which is yellow, and it looks orange! The lady beetles cover the house! Then when you open the door they flood in. Yuck! They are all over my house all winter. We can't get rid of them until spring!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We didn't experience the imported lady bug infestation until a very few years ago. The USDA had been attempting to establish them in colonies that would or could overwinter. The purpose was to assist farmers in certain areas control pest insects which damaged their crops. They were finally successful in Georgia and a few other places.

The USDA didn't take into consideration the habits of the imported lady bug. In their native habitat, they overwinter in cliff sides usually of a light color like white or yellow. As winter approached, the lady bugs would swarm to the cliffs where they mated and spent the winter.

In the United States, where they are established; the side of a house painted a light color looks like a cliff in India to them. You may as well open your door and let them in because they will get in for the winter.

The "experts" claim they don't bite. They simply excrete an acidic substance that feels like a bite. I watched one which had landed on my arm. He opened his mandibles and clamped them onto my skin. It hurts. I call it a bite.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Ted, perhaps some floating row covers would help to shelter your leafy crops. I hear what you're saying abut the cycles. It seems like every year, there's a particular insect that noticeably prevalent.

And, of course, there's the ladybug (actually, Asian lady beetle) boom that happens about every few years.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I think perhaps I stumbled onto a hopper control, either that or they just left due to daily watering.
I had alot of worms on my plants, so I began my weekly spraying routine, it is: Liquid fish emulsion, Bt, and milk from cleaning the milking equipment, no measured amount of milk.
Anyhow, when I had worms, I also had, these odd small light colored hoppers, not a traditional grasshopper. But wherever they were, were holes in the leaves, so they were eating my plants.

I caught all that I saw in my 'bug catching jug' which is just a container that I pick to stick bugs in, then close it up and go ahead and put it into the trash. I know I didn't catch nearly all.

But, after two weeks of spraying they are gone. Either they didn't like my spray, didn't like the watering daily (hoppers like dry weather) or they completed their life cycle. I honestly don't know what happened, I have only seen one helpful insect in the garden this whole year, a ladybug, and I know that she did not eat them all. But with my spraying there are no more bugs in the forest garden. And what I am spraying is only toxic to worms eating my plants.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You might have something, there, OL. It could very well have been the moist environment that drove them away to a dryer garden. I'll have to keep that tip in mind in case I ever have a hopper problem.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:You might have something, there, OL. It could very well have been the moist environment that drove them away to a dryer garden. I'll have to keep that tip in mind in case I ever have a hopper problem.
She is right. They do like hotter and dryer environments. They avoid moist areas of my yard and garden. I have a few places in the yard of dry, bare, dirt. When I walk near those places, the grasshoppers fly up by the thousands. They like my garden after the surface has dried from the daytime heat, but not while any moisture is present.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I wonder how those jalapenos would taste wrapped in bacon with a frog leg inside the jalapeno.
Aw, yes! Bacon makes anything good.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Frog legs actually taste pretty good. I haven't eaten them since I was about 14 or 15 years old (yeah, yeah ... back in the dark ages ... :roll: ), but as I recall, the flavor is very mild. If you actually do get a surfeit of frogs on your place, you could thin the population a bit. :D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We have a favorite Chinese buffet where we often eat. I like it because they have a lot of things that are somewhat unusual. I love the squid stew and calamari as well as the octopus and crab legs. They also have fried frog legs which are almost as large as a chicken drumstick. They are very good, but I don't eat much, because we don't eat much deep fried food.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:We have a favorite Chinese buffet where we often eat. I like it because they have a lot of things that are somewhat unusual. I love the squid stew and calamari as well as the octopus and crab legs. They also have fried frog legs which are almost as large as a chicken drumstick. They are very good, but I don't eat much, because we don't eat much deep fried food.

Ted
That sounds like a more authentic Chinese buffet. I was surprised to find out that many Chinese in the restaurant business are actually taught how to make American Chinese food. That is, Chinese-inspired dishes that would be accepted by Americans. From what I understand, what you would find and some of the buffets is nothing what what is actually made in China.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I grew up with two families of Chinese refugees who fled China when the communists took over. I was only 5 years old at the time, so I really did grow up with them. They spoke no English and I spoke no Chinese at first. We all learned a lot from each other. I grew to love authentic Chinese food and I do know the difference.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You're lucky, many never get to experience truly authentic ethic cuisine. Another one we lack here is an authentic Mexican restaurant.

I hear from a person from Arizona who says the Mexican restaurants down there are nothing like the ones up here.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I love TexMex food. It is the authenticity I grew up on, but it is not authentic Mexican. I have two restaurants where I do eat authentic. In one, in San Antonio; no one speaks English. The menu is in Spanish. In the other, they speak some English and the menu is in English and Spanish. You can usually tell it is authentic by the language spoken at the tables around you and by the absence of other gringos. To me, authentic means cabrito (goat), or a Mexican stew with fresh lime squeezed over it, or a whole fish. It is not TexMex. I also shop in local Mexican markets. They have the best fresh vegetable areas. Their vegetables are never as pretty as Walmarts, but they are much fresher and somehow taste better. The fresh meat areas are totally different with a wide selection of marinated meats that I can't duplicate at home. I once bought a large piece of fresh fried pork skin (we call it cracklins). It still had most of the hair intact on one side. I don't know what most people do, but I pull the hair before I eat it.

Ted

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Aha ha hahahaha, Ted!

I'd imagine pulling the hair would make sense.

Is it crumbly, though? For instance I eat a Chinese shrimp preparation where I actually eat the shell and all. It's cooked at such a searing high heat that it becomes crunchy and pleasant to eat. I'd guess the hair on cracklins could be, too.

One of my old foraging mentors ate grasshoppers and crickets on several continents. I've had some fried cricket from the Yucatan, but that's the extent of my gustatory experience regarding winged hoppers.

Generally, it's best if you find out how the locals eat something first. Like the naive fools who eat the cone of wasabi because it looks less offensive than the sashimi next to it, you don't always know what you are getting into.

I guess eating my garden critters would be relatively safe in terms of them growing in a healthy environment, but I'll have to stop naming them first.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

thanrose wrote:Aha ha hahahaha, Ted!

I'd imagine pulling the hair would make sense.

Is it crumbly, though? For instance I eat a Chinese shrimp preparation where I actually eat the shell and all. It's cooked at such a searing high heat that it becomes crunchy and pleasant to eat. I'd guess the hair on cracklins could be, too.

One of my old foraging mentors ate grasshoppers and crickets on several continents. I've had some fried cricket from the Yucatan, but that's the extent of my gustatory experience regarding winged hoppers.

Generally, it's best if you find out how the locals eat something first. Like the naive fools who eat the cone of wasabi because it looks less offensive than the sashimi next to it, you don't always know what you are getting into.

I guess eating my garden critters would be relatively safe in terms of them growing in a healthy environment, but I'll have to stop naming them first.
You punched a lot of my hot buttons.

1. Cracklins should always be crispy but not crumbly. I will keep pulling the hair though.

2. I've eaten the shrimp in the shell. They taste good, but I can't get past the thought that I am eating the shrimp shell. The shell always seems like I am crunching on plastic. Now if you know how to prepare soft shell crab, I will fight you for those.

3. I haven't eaten Chapulines (grasshoppers), but I would if I was in Mexico where they are commonly eaten. They know how to prepare them. I don't know how plus I think they are a different species than my backyard grasshoppers.

4.I eat sashimi in order to have an excuse to eat the wasabi. After my nose stops running, my eyes stop watering, and I can catch my breath; I eat another. I am a glutton for punishment.

5. I'm not going to eat my garden critters because they would no longer be able to eat the bad bugs in my garden. If frogs came out in the winter, they might be in danger.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's funny, we look at some of the different things they eat in other counties and think it's gross, and they probably look at the things we eat and think the same :lol:.

One thing I wouldn't mind trying is rattlesnake....they say it really does taste like chicken.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”