rootsy
Green Thumb

European Corn Borer & Ear Worm

For those in the North it is time to begin scouting your corn for ECB larvae. Pressure has been pretty low in Southern Michigan thus far but I have begun to see an increase while scouting.

If you don't have traps to catch moths you need to pull a few tassels at random and see if there are egg clusters and small larvae (clear colored worms w/ black heads) on the tassel.

The most effective method of control at this point is to get some corn oil / mineral oil & Bt. Mix em and apply to the freshly emerging silks of corn that is just beginning to make ears and tassel. If you can use a dropper to get it down into the silk so it weeps into the ear that is even better.

Unless you have an applicator's license... Then Warrior...

MaryDel

I (try to) spray my sweet corn 3 times with Sevin. Once when waist high, when silks start to show, and about ten days before they are just ripe to eat. I just got done freezing 200 ears, and I did not have any borers, and just one small worm.

rootsy
Green Thumb

MaryDel wrote:I (try to) spray my sweet corn 3 times with Sevin. Once when waist high, when silks start to show, and about ten days before they are just ripe to eat. I just got done freezing 200 ears, and I did not have any borers, and just one small worm.
There are much better and "safer" alternatives than Sevin. I admit I use it for residual critter control around the house and in the basement for some powder post beetle control but if it isn't labeled for use on a given food product I won't use it on that product.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rootsy wrote:For those in the North it is time to begin scouting your corn for ECB larvae. Pressure has been pretty low in Southern Michigan thus far but I have begun to see an increase while scouting.

If you don't have traps to catch moths you need to pull a few tassels at random and see if there are egg clusters and small larvae (clear colored worms w/ black heads) on the tassel.

The most effective method of control at this point is to get some corn oil / mineral oil & Bt. Mix em and apply to the freshly emerging silks of corn that is just beginning to make ears and tassel. If you can use a dropper to get it down into the silk so it weeps into the ear that is even better.

Unless you have an applicator's license... Then Warrior...

Thanks for that recipe. I didn't plant corn this year, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for future plantings.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”