hardland

Leggy/Tall Cucumber seedlings ? What to do ?

I started some seeds last week in 4 inch peet pots. The seeds bolted in 3-4 days. At this point, 9 days in, my Cucumbers are about 6-7 inches tall. The problem is they are starting to fall over? I don't think repotting them will help. The only thing I can think of is maybe supporting them with maybe a wooden thin stick, maybe a wooden barbecue skewer? Has anyone tried this ? Thanks

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

How much light are they getting? Are they indoors? I like to put a fluorescent light just a few inches above the seeds and just leave it on all the time as they grow their first few sets of leaves. You can also use a desk lamp depending on how many seeds and containers. Ideally a shop light would work, as long as it is very close to the seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cucumbers are VINES; they naturally grow sprawled along the ground or climbing a trellis. They can't support themselves. They are doing what they are supposed to do!

I think you mean the seeds sprouted in 3 or 4 days. Bolting is when a mature plant goes to seed. Especially used for things like lettuce and spinach, which change dramatically at that point: get tall and thin instead of leafy and turn bitter and put out flower spikes.

You really didn't need to start the seeds indoors or in pots at this time of year. Just sticking them in the ground works best, then you don't have to disturb the roots by transplanting and you don't have to harden them off. I would get them in the ground (or where ever they are going to stay) ASAP.

Don't leave them in the peat pots, which are seedling killers. The vendors will tell you you can just plant them in the ground, pot and all. That does NOT work, because the pot doesn't break down and stays there strangling the roots.

If they have been growing indoors, you can't just bring them out and put them in full sun. Bring them out and put them in a shady area where they are protected from too much sun/wind and then gradually over a period of a few days to a week get them used to more and more sun.

hardland

They are outdoors in partial sun. I'm in very hot FL, it's 90 in shade and of course very humid, I think thats why the seeds sprouted so quickly? I suppose I can get them re planted in the ground right away and offer them some support.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You sure can. Just don't disturb the root-ball too much and they will suffer the least amount of transplant-shock.

For support, just put up some trellis material and the cucumbers will so their thing.

Shoontok

I planted cuke seeds directly in the ground 11 days ago. And they are looking strong and blooming there second set of leaves. and then its off to the races as I got em in some nice sunny spots and I keep em well watered and in good soil.

I actually moved a bunch of the seedlings at day 5 to different locations and they are doing just fine.

Get em outta them 4 inch peat pots and get I'm in the ground where ya want em. Or if yer doing the potted thing go ahead and move em into big pots. Just be gentle and give em some water in their new home.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Watering is a big one. I've found that when I would move a cucurbit, the leaves would wilt and look really bad. I would just keep watering daily, twice daily, really, for about a week, and then the plant would perk up and do fine. I've even done this with a zucchini plant that deer pulled into the middle of the yard and munched on!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”