Zapatay

Sharing with neighbors

Feelin' good this morning ....

We've been picking veggies off for our daily salad or big breakfast (huevos rancheros (and guacamole) are a favorite from our garden) however this was a little larger of a harvest....

I ran inside for a basket and my daughter and I plucked a 14 tomatoes, 5 big poblano peppers, five cucumbers, a few handfuls of cilantro, nearly a dozen jalepenos, about 8 banana peppers and two green peppers.....

I noticed the family across the fence was sitting in their backyard enjoying a bbq. I asked my daughter if we should give them some and she loved the idea.

I just about gave the whole thing to them knowing that we'll have another harvest of that size by the end of the week...

I called the wife over and asked if she'd enjoy them and she was estatic ...the husband and two boys came over to the fence and were all looking at what we were passing over. The husband gave me so many compliments and was so thankful ... I saw him wipe off a tomato and take a big bite of it as he was walking in the door.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Nothing like sharing your excess. My garden is a tad bigger than it was at this time last year. The extended family has had members move on to other areas so that avenue of distribution has evaporated a bit, but the neighbors have benefited from this. Right now, all I have left to share in any volume is cucumbers and okra and I'm finding takers for all I have to offer.

With the volume of leafy greens I plan on putting in for the fall garden, I'll be supplying most of the folks near me with salads and various greens well into the fall. Last year I grew several different leaf lettuces and spicy salad greens that most of my neighbors had never seen much less tasted. Most were a hit, some of the greens like endive and arugala were hit and miss since I feel it is an acquired taste. Everybody loved the swiss chard.

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

The reason I grow cucumbers is so that my grandma can slice them up and pickle them to sell at her church sale. We get no profit from it, but it helps her church.
Otherwise I do slice up a few of them to enjoy fresh.

MaryDel

I have called half a dozen friends and neighbors and told them to stop by and get some sweet corn. I've been picking it by the wheelbarrow. I'm in the middle of freezing 200 more ears :roll: and I think that should just about do it for the next year. I like to freeze 52 quart bags of corn so I can eat it year round, at least once a week.

My wife drops off fresh produce to my mother and my inlaws almost every week.

One of my good friends has no room for a garden, but loves fresh produce. I struck a deal with him. He buys almost all of my seeds and starts almost all of my seeds indoors, and I bring him a bag of produce every few weeks. I actually grow several things I don't like just for him and his wife. I pretty much have unlimited garden space.

I also routinely take produce into work and leave it for my co-workers. In exchange, I often find a dozen free range brown eggs, or a nice banana bread on my desk.

It's always nice to share the bounty

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

My neighbors love my garden! I still don't have much, but they have gotten quite a few different varieties of peppers and I am sure there is going to be some squash and melon heading over there eventually too! I love growing it all I just know I could never eat it all and sharing the "fruits: of my labor makes it all worth it! :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it is a joy to share the bounty. Always remember, what goes around comes around.

specgrade

My neighbors have shared their garden with us since we moved to our new neighborhood about 4 years ago. This year we took over some cukes as I knew they don't grow them. Nice to get some things that you don't have the space to grow. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, just about every gardener I know gives some harvest away to his or her neighbors. It's just the polite, neighborly thing to do.

Zapatay

I've never received any from neighbors gardens ....

You are right - it is polite.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

My dad used to say, the only thing better than a good garden, is a good neighbor with a good garden. Truth be known, he was the good neighbor with the good garden. He and my mother grew everything, and always had a great garden and shared with all.

Had two of my grandsons with me this past weekend (5 and 2 years old). I fixed a bag for each, one with tomatoes and another with cukes, pepper and eggplant. We rode the 4 wheeler to our neighbors house to share some produce. The boys enjoyed giving it away as much as my neighbors enjoyed getting them. Of course, it helped too that my neighbor always has a brownie to share with the boys!! That helps.

What did you say Jal? What goes around comes around....as brownies

sassyjvg

This is my first garden and honestly, I had expectations of higher yields. I have been able to share some samples here and there but I almost feel bad that I hadn't produced more to share. Hopefully there's still time. Sharing the fruits of your labor from the garden feels like sharing a gift wrapped in love. I always felt special when receiving other's garden morsels and now, I want to be on the giving end.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've even given things to neighbors who have their own gardens. I try to give crops that they don't have or at least varieties they don't have. Really, as the old saying goes, it's the thought that counts.

maddox
Newly Registered

I wish I had nice neighbors to share with. My neighbor on the one side is
a drunk who used to try to peep in our windows at night

And on the other side is a bunch of guys who accosted me one day while
I was walking down the street yelling obsenities at me and telling me to
'clean those Fn weeds out of my F'n yard.' And by weeds, he meant my
vegetable garden, I have no weeds...

farmerlon
Green Thumb

maddox wrote:I wish I had nice neighbors to share with. My neighbor on the one side is

Unfortunately, some people (like your neighbors) are just idiots, or worse.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Personally, I don't want any neighbors on the property, so don't even invite them over. Yeah, I'm a bad gardener..hehe..

EG

specgrade

engineeredgarden wrote:Personally, I don't want any neighbors on the property, so don't even invite them over. Yeah, I'm a bad gardener..hehe..

EG
Hmm, whatcha got growing over at your place? A little sumthin' sumthin'?? :lol:

specgrade

maddox wrote:I wish I had nice neighbors to share with. My neighbor on the one side is

Now that's harsh!

Some drunk at my window would meet with the business end of a bang stick. :shock:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

specgrade - nah, but I've got the perfect grow system for it!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”