DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Potato Harvest, Several weeks early

I will be harvesting my Yukon Gold and a Russet potatoes today. They are two maybe three weeks early this year.

This is a picture of the raised bed with the plants and mulch removed.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02554.jpg[/img]

A hint of the harvest.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02555.jpg[/img]

So what do you think. Will it be a good harvest or poor :?: I'm not even sure. Have you experience a early harvest in any of your potato rows :?: This is 1 of 3, 20ft raised beds. Of the 2 left, 1 is going strong and the other looks done.

Off to dig spuds :D
Eric

philm00x

I would love to grow potatoes here, but I don't have the luxury of a yard to do it in, unfortunately. my wife and I eat mostly the small red skinned potatoes that she'll cut up in quarters, splash some olive oil and salt on em, and bake em till they're crispy and browned on the outside. it would be great to plant some of our own.

those russetts look great (yummy) to me! but I don't know much about potato gardening.

Anna63

It looks like it would be good harvest, but wait for more opinions. good luck

kgall

I vote good! Nice looking spuds!

applestar
Mod

Looking good!

So what do you do with yours? Sell them at the market?
Do you keep some as seed potatoes until next spring? I still can't imagine being able to save them until April.

What do you do with the REALLY small ones? There's a description in TZ's TPS (True Potato Seed) thread for a way to makie use of those microspuds. 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Philm00x,

My favorite is a pork roast in a cast iron dutch oven. Surround the roast with one inch square pieces of potato, with skin on. Cover and roast until done. Pork fat browned potatoes, yum, yum, Heart attack.

Apple,

I haven't sold any at the Market, mostly trade, give away, consume. I try to save some every year for March planting. St Patrick's Day is usually when I plant. I like golfball size potatoes as my seed. Plant them whole.

Harvest was a little disappointing, about (2) five gallon buckets. Lots of little potatoes in this raised bed. I'm thinking it was a combination of things. New bed (clay soil), not enough mulch and needed more water.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02559.jpg[/img]

Eric

philm00x

I think that'll give me tater tots and kettle chips for months!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Phil,

If you were to try growing potatoes in a large container, I would recommend Red LaSoda Potato . They are a red skin potato variety developed for the southern climate. I'm growing them here, about as far north as you can get. :roll: In the States anyway. Slowly fill in the container as they grow. Dump the contents after the plant withers.

Eric

philm00x

how deep of a container would I need to grow them? guess I'll google where to get seeds for them.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on your harvest, too bad it wasn't as good as in past years, but at least you have something to work towards next summer.

2 buckets are better than 1, anyhow.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Garden5,

There's aways next year, but that's 7 months away. :lol:

I had left over Eggplant starts, so I planted them into the bed. It's probably to late, but I'll have the low tunnel to extend the season.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”