orgoveg
Green Thumb

Eggplant color

One of my Black Beauty eggplant fruits is developing partially green. It doesn't appear as if it will turn solid purple anytime soon. Is it still okay to eat that way?
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/greeneggplant.jpg[/img]

Anna63

Eggplant fruits are most commonly purple in color but may also be white or green, so I think that is okay to eat them :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I only ask because the others are pure dark purple, befitting the name "Black Beauty". I won't be using this one to save seeds.

applestar
Mod

I agree it's probably OK to eat.

Is it just this one fruit or is it all the fruits from this plant? If it's plant-wide, maybe the seed was cross pollinated.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Good point. I'll have to watch as this it the first fruit on this plant.

lilturtle
Cool Member

I would leave it on the vine a bit longer..does this plant get really good full sun? Maybe it is getting to much shade that can interfere with the fruit color also. Some times when I get things like this I just clip a few leaves around it letting n more sun and that seems to help.

I had to trim some branches on some volunteer tomatoes that were to close to my yard long beans because the beans were not getting enough sun.

There are times when shade is nice also like right now I have yellow wax bean plants just sprouting up for part of my fall crop..I planted them next to my corn so the corn is shading the young plants from the hot sun..by the time they get big they will be able to recieve more sun and I will cut a few corn leaves back for them.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I agree that it should be fine to eat. I have some like that sometimes, but have never tried to figure any pattern to them. Eggplant is so beautiful as a fruit, rich and deep in color. That is one of the primary reasons I plant it. With such rich color I have always wondered what some variations would look like.

Also, I need some good eggplant recipes

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Good thread, and great job at growing and supporting the melons, BP, learned few things here - thanks!

Regards,
D

P.S. First time for melons for me too, have few questions - will post separately so I don't clutter your thread...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, the only purple eggplant I've seen have started growing purple right from the start. There was no "color ripening process." With that being said, your white/green one is probably fine to eat and could be just a mix-up at the seed company.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”