sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what causes siamese twinning in squash?

you know, the yellow squash where they grow two stuck together and you pick it as one squash? but they're stuck together like siamese twins? what causes that?

Anna63

I have no idea why it is so, but sure doesnt make it taste any different. Nature is so funny!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Kinda like this huh?

[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2009%20Garden/IMG_1760.jpg[/img]

Mine grew from a fused bloom. Interesting thought about why it occurs, but I would assume some sort of cellular division problem during the blossom production from the stem. I really don't know, but I think my guess is as good as most. It didn't taste any different though.

Ted

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ahhh, a fused bloom! cool!!! yeah, that is weird how it happens. its always neat to see though!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I had a few last year and this year. It seems to happen when the squash plants are small and just starting to grow fast and produce fruit. I suspect it has something to do with the accelerated growth rate of the young plants.

Ted

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

this one I got today was on a plant that has been producing for a month almost!!!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

You can tell right away when your going to get a double because when you look at the flower on the plant, the fruit behind it will look much larger than normal. Congratulations your double :D.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”