cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Seed storage question

So this weekend we are going to the local farmers market/swap meet. I plan on getting some fruits and veggies to hopefully retain seed from for next year. My question is how long can seeds keep and are there any good reliable links or sites or anything that helps explain the process?

Thanks a bunch!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Unless you know the people at the market, I don't think it's a goos idea to buy veggies to save seed from. You have no idea how many different things they grow, or how many varieties and cross pollination is almost garaunteed. When plants cross pollinate the next years plant will almost never produce the same variety as the parent plant. Tomatoes for example may produce cherry sized toms instead of the full sized ones. Hybrids are even worse than heirlooms in this aspect. Different melons and squashes may also cross pollinate giving you a whole new variety of fruit/veggie you've never even seen before.

If you are interested in saving seed purchase open pollinated seeds to grow next year and save seed from your own plants. There's a LOT of seed saving info on the sight already and TZ has been promising a big post in the seed saving section. :)

Or you could just buy stuff at the market to save seeds from and see what kinds of interesting things grow next year! Just donOt be surprised if it isn't what you expected ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Short answer is that seeds must be cleaned and dried and then you can store them in paper envelopes (no plastic, holds too much moisture) in refrigerator or freezer.

How long they last depends on the plant, some seeds keep better than others. But I have grown plants from five year old seeds (usually the germination rate is reduced) and there are recorded examples of being able to sprout seeds that are thousands of years old, found in a dry cave somewhere.

Scarecrow

RG if you don't mind clarifying storage please.

I have my seeds stored in thier original paper envelope then these envelopes are inserted into a zip lock bag and stored in the vegetable bin of my fridge.

Is that ok or should I put them into a paper bag?
They have been there about a month.

Thanks,
Scarecrow

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.seedsave.org%2F&ei=_Y1VTK-pAs-MnQeUs62LAw&usg=AFQjCNHjhGxxpiB3d2jfeCmljY1iY4_myw]Here's[/url] a great site on seed saving.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't trust farmer's market fruits and vegetables to be the correct type. I have heard too many stories about renaming varieties being SOP for sales. For instance, any bicolor tomato may be sold as Pineapple for the name recognition. The farmer may grow several similar varieties to ensure crop success and its much easier to have one bin with a recognizable name than many with obscure names.

Silver Queen is a good example for sweet corn. From what I have read, most farmers quit growing Silver Queen a while back because of better newer varieties, but it was the standard favorite for a long time with good name recognition.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Scarecrow wrote:RG if you don't mind clarifying storage please.

I have my seeds stored in thier original paper envelope then these envelopes are inserted into a zip lock bag and stored in the vegetable bin of my fridge.

Is that ok or should I put them into a paper bag?
They have been there about a month.

Thanks,
Scarecrow
I would take it out of the ziplock and just put them in a paper bag. Moisture can condense inside the ziplock and then your seeds mold or rot.

Scarecrow

rainbowgardener wrote:I would take it out of the ziplock and just put them in a paper bag. Moisture can condense inside the ziplock and then your seeds mold or rot.
Will do. Thanks RG!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Ahhh thank you for the clarification on the hybrids and stuff, would have been a bummer to plant a bunch and then get nothing out of it!

As for seed storage, been doing everything right, execept for putting in the fridge. Think I will do that tonight!!!

Thank you everyone! Your help is always so well... helpful!!!

By the way - at the farmers market didnt get too much, but yet at the same time I think we got one of everything!! Cant wait until my garden starts giving me foods! I may open my own stand! LOL! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

What about keeping the envelopes in a sealed, air-tight mason jar? Or would that only work if you were certain that the existing air in the jar was completely dry?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

G5 that's how my aunt used to store her seeds, but she put one of those packets you get inside a box of new shoes or a purse that has the beads to keep out moisture in there with them.
She must have had over 100 of those packets stashed away and used them for the craziest things, but it always worked. I swear she was the first one to realize if the remote gets liquid spilled in it take the batteries out right away and throw it in a plastic baggie with a few of those bead packs and 12 hours later, viola', the remote still works :D
I don't know how many butt whoopings she might have saved us kids from :lol:
(PS if you didnt know that trick works on cell phones too)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Dix, your silica gel suggestion also made me think of another moisture-absorbing compound, corn meal. A dusting of that in a jar is supposedly good for seed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”