BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Hey it rained!

It rained for the first time this summer during the day! I am not joking when I say that. All rain fall has come at night with severe thunderstorms, as you've noticed. Anyway that rain fall will continue through the early morning hours. Tomatoes have blight all the way up the plants, I cannot keep up with it. Squash have powdery mildew, peppers are dropping fruit. Garden is underwater again. Every time it rains it has to flood? It has probably rained 10 times during strong thunderstorms thats it. However everyone of those storms has dumped a flood on us 4inches easy. I really feel bad for my neighbor, his garden is completely covered in water. It has to be the 10th time. They are saying 6 inches of rain are possible. I can't catch a break this year. We don't hardly get any rain and when we do its to much. I hope next season is better then this one...yikes. :roll:

Sorry for ranting, I am just depressed. I'll post pictures of the flooding again...its just too unreal to happen again and again and again...etc etc...
Oh no...water in the basement as well...fun fun fun.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Just talked to my neighbor, he's worried about loosing all the stuff in basement. In his words "I'm worried I might loose the house". Pray for him if anyone is up right now. I'm continuing to shopvac....

garden5
Super Green Thumb

So sorry to hear about your deluge :(. For the most part here, we've had a pretty average summer with the occasional thunderstorm. There have only really been 3 or so hard rain-falls, but the worst that has happened is a sunflower or two have gotten knocked over.

Maybe this will be the last hard rain for you.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

https://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,103120

[img]https://keloland.com/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/33861.jpg[/img]

I sure hope so Garden5...
That is a few miles down from me in a small town. My neighboor by the way has to restore is basement. The pound that's right in back of his house obviously flooded out his whole backyard.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had 14" of rain in 36 hours this spring. It has been 95 to 100+ degrees for almost 2 months and rained once 3 weeks ago. It almost rained yesterday and the day before, lots of dark clouds, wind, lightning, then it barely sprinkled.

I had a good crop of tomatoes and I canned about 23 quarts and 44 pints so far. I need to can about 18 pints of tomatoes again tomorrow. Had a good crop of corn and beans. Corn is gone I planted 3 rows of beans where the corn was 4 days ago and its up already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjaQoOdJvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5gYhLKwSp4&feature=related

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Gary, that is absolutely horrible. How did you fair during this?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

BrianSkilton wrote:Gary, that is absolutely horrible. How did you fair during this?
I had just planted my garden the day before it rained and the garden was a river for 2 days. The tomatoes and pepper plants were just barely sticking out of the water. It took a week for the mud garden to dry up. Water did not hurt the tomatoes but I had a bad case of cut worms for 3 weeks and I solved the problem with corn meal. The sweet bell pepper plants all turned yellow from too much water and died so I replanted. The corn and beans came up fine. Nashville got it worse than us they got 20+ inches of rain and we got 14" of rain. I-24, I-65 and I-40 were all closed for 4 days. You could not get within 60 miles of Nashville on any of the Interstate Highways they were all under 4 feet of water. It was raining so hard I could barely see the house across the street it was like looking though a heavy fog. It was pretty amazing. I road my bicycle in the rain that was the most fun I have had since I was in grade school riding in the rain the water was 6 to 18" deep in the streets and one intersection 1 block from my house had 3 ft of water. If the Lord made it rain like that for 40 days and 40 nights there would have been about 80 ft of water. I got some pretty good video of the water in the street in my neighbor hood seveal streets that run down hill had 3 ft of water in the intersections. There were people riding canoes and rafts in the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w60JNXnqbbc&feature=related

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Wow, that is impressive...massive flooding. I'm glad it will never rain for 40 days and 40 nights again :D, thank the Lord for that! Glad to hear your garden wasn't a total loss. Did your tomatoes get bad blight that year, I seem to never be able to stop them from getting it. I think I'll just lay a sheet of plastic down next year. I'm amazed by that though, that is very very impressive flooding. Anyway I posted some pictures. This is 6inches I cant imagine 14! By the way I was lucky I got my "unpumping sump pump" in the act. I used the shopvac and then fixed the sump pump in time. So got a little water in the laundry room thats it. What a relief!

[img]https://www.phantom360.com/images/flood/flood1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/images/flood/flood2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.phantom360.com/images/flood/flood3.jpg[/img]

I'll maybe post more later...

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I feel for you! We can't buy rain here. 98-105 day after day and no rain. I have basically decided to really flood irrigate the garden with a small sprinkler on very low for hours at a time to keep up. God will give us rain sooner or later, it's His will after all.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My tomatoes have blight pretty bad this year. I lost all my tomatoes to blight about mid July to bligth last year. I am spraying with copper sulfate and watering the plants with copper sulfate 1 tablespoon of copper sulfate to 1 gallon of water. My tomatoes don't seem to be getting worse but they are not getting better either. I picked about 20 lbs of tomatoes today. I will probably can about 15 pints of tomatoes in mason jars tomorrow. I hope my tomatoes don't die this year. It has been 20 years sinse my tomatoes have had blight. Blight killed my potatoes. I have 15 lbs of copper sulfate so I am prepaired for blight for the next 20 years.

BP

Wow Gary, that's amazing. There was nowhere near enough national news coverage of this disaster. I saw quick little covereages a couple of times and that was it. The first video you posted made a great point as to why there wasn't much coverage. It said something about there was no looting. If people would've acted like animals raping, killing, and looting like Katrina the news media would've been all over it. That's sad that good people are forgotten because they know how to act. I give best to the people of Nashville.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are almost getting rain again today. Lots of thunder and lightning and a tiny sprinkle. Weather channel says, isolated thunder storms with dangerious lightning. Geeeeez........I don't recall ever seeing any safe lightning.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”