bjwam

Water tank with pump?

After reviewing many of the posts about rain catchment and water tank storage I've devised my own plan. I want to retrofit a 50 gal tank with the appropriate fixtures and adapters to connect my drip line to this tank.

A few things are going on here. I am only able to use the city water here because it doesn't rain here at all. I've read that if the chlorinated water can sit for longer than a day then the chlorine will evaporate.

Essentially, instead of using the city water to water my garden I will fill the tank in advance to let the chlorine evaporate. I will drop a fountain pump inside the tank and redirect the water flow to the drip lines. This tank will also be connected to a gutter so it will simultaneously work as cistern.

What do you guys think? Am I going through all this trouble for nothing? Any other ideas?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

A few things are going on here. I am only able to use the city water here because it doesn't rain here at all. I've read that if the chlorinated water can sit for longer than a day then the chlorine will evaporate.
Yes in a open top tank. If you use a bubbler - aerator, it will gas off faster.

You may have Chloramines disinfectants in your water not chlorine. This is more stable and doesn't gas off as easy.

https://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/disinfection/chloramine/index.html
Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DDFs right. You should contact your local water authority and find out what exactly is being added to your water, then go from there.

bjwam

good point guys. looks like I need to do some research. thanks!

malkore
Cool Member

chloramine doesn't gas out at all, you must bind it with another chemical to remove it. most water companies are switching over because it doesn't gas out and therefore lasts longer since its more permanent.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Would your design work? Probably unless your city is using chloramine. I have used municipal chlorinated and fluoridated water in my garden many times in the past with no problems. Why are you concerned about it. Are you not drinking and brushing your teeth with the city water? I now have a water well and don't worry about it, but I do have a little dissolved iron in my well water. It makes me feel like Popeye after he eats a can of spinach.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”