gardengrl3

Cuting down pumpkin vines

If I cut down my pumpkin vines to the base will I get new vines growing?
I had to cut some of my pumpkin vines off entirely because they were getting the white powdery stuff on the leaves-they did produce some pumpkins which was nice. But if I keep the root in the ground will I get new vines this year or next or nothing???? :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You already did this cutting? That's too bad. I would have tried treating the powdery mildew first. You can treat it with milk solution or baking soda solution, both of which usually work well, as long as you don't let the infection get real bad before you treat it.

Pumpkin is an annual, so once it is done for the season it is done, nothing comes back next year.

I'm not sure where you did all this cutting. Pumpkins usually have several main vines. As long as you left one, it should keep going. If you didn't leave any, then I'm thinking it's done for. But I don't have a lot of experience growing pumpkins, where I am now I don't have room for them. So maybe someone with more experience will come along and confirm that part.

Next time ask us about plant diseases, etc, before you do anything drastic! We are always glad to help! :)

gardengrl3

Rainbowgardner-
Thank you for your advice-I had to cut down the vines because the leaves were dried up but they did produce a few pumpkins. My garden is a average size back yard and I did plant pumpkins all around my yard-but some of the vines were getting so long it was getting a bit drastic-I thought some of the vines were going to come into the house and sit themselves on my couch and start watching TV!!
I did keep a few pumpkin vines growing but I needed to get some space back in my garden-plus my three dos were always running through the vines it was a miracle they produced any pumpkins at all!
I was hoping the pumpkins would take a little longer to grow just in time for Halloween but the pumpkins are coming in now-so I need to learn how to make pumkin pie or hope they last until October.......
Have a great day! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

As long as you left some vines you should be OK. If you were to cut all of the vines back to the base of the plant, then it would have been done for the year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”