sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

when would I plant soybeans?

I've googled and I can't seem to find the answer. I "think" I"m in zone 5b but not positive.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Soybeans are typically planted in May, mid to late, and harvested in September, October around here. Zone 6B.

applestar
Mod

The two Edamame (harvested green) soybean varieties I have are 70days (Tamba Kuro Otsubu) and 75 days (Lucky Lion). According to last year's notes, I direct seeded them 3rd week of May and 2nd week of July. The 2nd/fall crop needed to be protected (casually -- not carefully tucked in or anything) from frost with row covers, but they managed to produce green pods as well as mature beans for this year's seed. "Warm day temperatures and cool night temperatures are important for good results." according to Kitazawaseed.com

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't know when you would plant soybeans, but I would plant them May 15.

C00KiE46

I'm not sure when you should plant yours, but I'm planting mine next week.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thank you :) I was getting confused because I was reading some sites and it sounded like it over winters but then I read other things and it sounded like spring and I was confuzzeled! so for me, in my zone I would plant them in the spring. thank you!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's the zone 5-6 planting schedule:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-5-6-planting-schedule

It is not hard and fast rules. It just gives you some guidelines for getting started until you know more about what works for you in your particular location.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

you're the best, thanks so much!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”