cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Thoughts on my cantaloupe?

Ok so I planted my garden, it got destroyed by the dog, I replanted and miraculously once thought lost items came to life.

I thought I had lost my squash so in its place I planted a cantaloupe.

The cantaloupe never had a very strong start and then out of no where the squash exploded about 3 feet away and now is towering over the cantaloupe.

Here is a picture, you can see the small little leaves with little yellow flowers of the persistent cantaloupe, but growing over it is the squash which has of course taken over...

[img]https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k82/cherishedtiger/garden072510008.jpg[/img]

Should I just leave them alone and let them battle it out? Or should I pull up the cantaloupe and see what I can salvage of it?

Thanks!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Squash/melon plants tend to not take well to transplanting, particular after they have been establishes.

Do you think you could move the squash vine away from the cantaloupe? Perhaps you could also train the cantaloupe to grow out and away from the squash.

In the end, if you have no choice but to move the cantaloupe, make sure to keep as much dirt attached to the root-ball as you can to lessen the stress on the plant. I have transplanted squash with success, but they were young. They will look really beat at first, but just keep them watered, I've found that to be the key.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Yeah I am trying to move the squash and keep it from continually growing over the cantaloupe. If I didnt think that the cantaloupe wasnt trying its hardest I would attempt to move it I think, but for now I will just let it be and see how it does.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That's the thing. I've found that when I've transplanted my squash, it really set them back. The existing leaves would die back and the strong growth would be the new growth. If you can keep the darn squash away, I'd let the cantaloupe be.

BP

Why not build a trellis and train the cantaloupe to grow on it and let the squash have the ground?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”