Dixana
Greener Thumb

Holy seeds!!!

I just got my Territorial Seed Co catalog. They give you a LOT of seeds with some veggies!! Have any of you ordered from here? Do you actually plant 750 carrot seeds? Do they store well if you don't use them all?
I'm trying to wrap my head around 375 beet seeds being a "sampler".....
Anyone wanna go in together on a seed order :lol:

TWC015

I like to go to a local place that orders seeds in bulk and sells them at very reasonable prices.

Yesterday, I went there and got a few of their 75 cent seed packets. The turnips have around 15,000 seed, okra about 900 and about 600 spinach. A half pound of english peas is 95 cents and they have some sweet corn at great prices as well. The only downside is that they do not have much variety; just the standards.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I'll have to check out their site! But I will say, I have decided from here on out I'm only buying seed from companies who don't support or sell GMO. That's why I've been so gung ho about Baker's Creek Heirloom and now Territorial. I really love companies that are supporting the pure food movement and sell only seed and products that are as organic as possible.
I'm also no longer buying any plants from big box stores or hardware store greenhouses. There are too many nurseries that use organic/chemical free methods which results in better plants.
Yay for organic GMO free food!!
And besides all that, if I only buy OP or heirloom varieties I can save my own seeds next year :D Then I won't ever have to buy those seeds again!! I need to learn a little more about seed saving and plants in general so I'm only saving my wild boar tomato seeds this year. If they ever flower that is :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And especially who needs 15,000 turnip seeds!?

But seeds do store well. Put them in PAPER envelopes (no plastic bags, holds too much moisture) and put them in frig or freezer (I've done both and they both seem to work). I've kept seeds up to five years that way and still had them germinate (though for some seeds the germination rate may go down).

TWC015

I also like Fedco co-op in Maine. They have a good selection and excellent prices as well.

On the subject of seed, I got about 10,000 brussels sprouts seeds from one plant earlier this year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”