rootsy
Green Thumb

Re: raccoons

scrose wrote:do you really have to kill the raccoons? i heard you could just spray the area/garden with a certain kind of scent, and the raccoons wouldn't come near it.

old man told me to use fox scent (or was it urine?), but i haven't done that yet.
Nope... doesn't work...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't believe in killing the wildlife (they were here first! :) ) so I do cage my veggies in. At least the ones the raccoons like... The raccoons for example never bother the bed that has peppers and basil in it. And they seem to be real big on leafy greens. I can leave the swiss chard unprotected, but I have to protect lettuce and spinach cabbage, broccoli etc from the ground hog.

After awhile you learn who likes what.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Susan W
Greener Thumb

[img]https://lh5.ggpht.com/_TLd5mTZkIn8/TGladvQpXnI/AAAAAAAABBY/tTvvzeM7gss/s288/P1000423.JPG[/img]

Don't have corn, but have these critters. This was a couple of summers ago, I trapped out 2 siblings. I use cheap canned kitty food as bait, tie can down! My son put cage in back of truck, brought to industrial park/wooded bottom land area by the river. Actually an island in the Mississippi, connected by causeway. Vamoose!
Have fun!
Susan

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived at the other house 20 years ago there was a forest 1/2 block from my house. Something kept eating my garden so I put up an electric fence wire 3" off the ground. That stopped the critters from eating my garden but the electric fence killed all the squirrels and birds. I found sometimes 1 to 3 dead squirrels and 8 to 14 dead birds every day when I got home from work. I don't like killing the wild life so I took the electric fence away. I had plenty of land so I planted a larger garden so I could share with the animals.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well so far so good. I picked 6 corn yesterday and so far no raccoons. WOO!

jmoore

Racoon eradication is always a hot topic on hunting forums. In TX we are allowed to put out deer feeders. It is mandatory to put varmint cages around the motor, otherwise the coons will sit there all night pulling corn out of your funnel.

Lots of guys also put out "on demand" protein feeders for the deer. The coons LOVE those because it's like a stinking buffet for them. And you can't enclose them because then the deer can't get to them.

There are many DIY remedies and all are marginally successful. The only truly successful remedy is acute lead poisioning.

harleymitebe
Newly Registered

I put a battery operated radio on a talk radio station when I see signs of coon damage so far the last three years it seems to work I turn it on at dusk and off at daylight

harleymitebe
Newly Registered

The people who live trap and move need to understand that usually they will be moved into another coons territory and if are small and weaker it just a slower and more painful death than just putting it out of its miseries. not allowed food getting attacked by other families of coons until they eventually die.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

In some states ... OR and NY, for two I know of offhand ... raccoons are protected by law. They are listed as Furbearers, and can only be taken legally during trapping season. DFW commonly requires that one have a permit in order to trap a raccoon, or any other Furbearer. Also, the law may specify that only certain types of traps be used.

Oregon gets around this by providing free "out of season" permits to people who need to trap nuisance raccoons. All you have to do is go to the nearest DFW office and fill out a short application form. They'll even rent a trap to you, if they have one available, and return the rental fee when you return the undamaged trap. As I recall, the permit allows you to trap only animals that are on your own property.

IMO, it's important to remember that whenever one animal is removed from an area, another animal will soon notice the vacancy and move in.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

rootsy
Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:In some states ... OR and NY, for two I know of offhand ... raccoons are protected by law. They are listed as Furbearers, and can only be taken legally during trapping season. DFW commonly requires that one have a permit in order to trap a raccoon, or any other Furbearer. Also, the law may specify that only certain types of traps be used.

Oregon gets around this by providing free "out of season" permits to people who need to trap nuisance raccoons. All you have to do is go to the nearest DFW office and fill out a short application form. They'll even rent a trap to you, if they have one available, and return the rental fee when you return the undamaged trap. As I recall, the permit allows you to trap only animals that are on your own property.

IMO, it's important to remember that whenever one animal is removed from an area, another animal will soon notice the vacancy and move in.
Each state is different with regard to trap & release or elimination of nuisance animals. One must verse themselves in the law of their location.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

rootsy wrote:Each state is different with regard to trap & release or elimination of nuisance animals. One must verse themselves in the law of their location.
Absolutely! That's why I noted that only "some" states regulated control of raccoons. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Lady Bug
Newly Registered

It's a losing battle. Plant enough for you and the critters.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lady Bug wrote:It's a losing battle. Plant enough for you and the critters.
That's a losing battle too! I don't have enough land, because they will eat all that is provided. If I provided more the bounty would just make them prosper and thrive and have more babies!

When I first started feeding birds, I discovered this the hard way. I was amazed at how quickly the feeders were emptied, so I kept putting out more and more food. I got more and more birds all right, but the new ones were starlings and grackles and morning doves that got attracted to the feast. It got to be a big nuisance as well as going through 50 # bags of birdseed very fast. Eventually I figured out to put out a lot less, tailored much more specifically to what the birds I want around like, with tailored delivery systems (like upside down feeders, etc) and focus more on planting natural food for them. No more nuisance birds.

Moral of the story, you can't fill them up by providing more and more, just attract more...

Cage in what you don't want them to eat.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

garden5
Super Green Thumb

harleymitebe wrote:I put a battery operated radio on a talk radio station when I see signs of coon damage so far the last three years it seems to work I turn it on at dusk and off at daylight

That's a clever idea :idea:. How loud do you have it? Are you in the country or the suburbs?
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”